People do different things when they are nervous. Some bite their nails without knowing it. Nail biting is also commonly done when stressed out. Others do it when they are bored. Nail biting is also called onychophagia, which is an oral compulsive habit. This can happen to anyone, young or old, male or female. Your fingers will be more sensitive to pain when you bite your nails especially if it’s already on the meeting edge of the nail and skin. This will also make you prone to bacteria and virus, which is not good for your health. If you are one of those people who bite their nails when they experience those situations or it already became a habit, you need to stop now before you lose all your nails. Furthermore, it’s not a good sight seeing someone biting his or her nails. This might also affect your self-confidence and social interaction because you might be shy for people to see your nails if your nail biting is already extreme.
Here are the steps on how to stop biting your nails.
- Be determined. First, you need to accept that it’s a problem you need to resolve, that this is not just a common habit that you can always do. Think of the effects of nail biting and this will help you decide that it’s time to stop this. Since you are already used to it and may even be doing this without realizing, it will take time before you will be able to completely stop. However, committing yourself to work on stopping this habit is the first step. You need to have determination to do this. If you find yourself biting your nails, stop immediately. Be your own “police”.
- Use bad tasting solution. There are solutions that you can buy in your local pharmacy, which you can apply on your nails. The taste of these solutions is bad so you will be having second thoughts to bite your nails if you taste these. Bitrex is one of the products you can try. You can buy this on your local pharmacy or online.
- Paint your nails. Get a manicure on your local salon. You can also do it by yourself or with a friend’s help. Paint your nails and add designs to make these even more attractive. If your nails are that pretty, it will be harder for you to just bite them. You can also use artificial nails if your nails are too short to paint.
- Bring something to eat. Always bring chewing gums or candies wherever you go. You can put these in your pocket so anytime you feel like biting your nails, you can eat these instead.
- Keep your hands busy. Find something that you can do when you’re bored. This should be a hobby, which will keep your hands busy so that you will not have the chance to bite your nails. You can try cross stitching, gardening or anything to keep your hands out of your mouth.
With your effort and the tips provided in this article, you will soon be able to completely stop nail biting. You can have long, beautiful nails that you can show to everyone.