Taking and passing a Data Entry exam means that you are qualified for some note taking jobs or encoding tasks. This type of exam mostly deals with your accuracy in entering data into the system. This also means that you work fast and can have very reliable results. The list of tips below will help you prepare for a data entry exam. You need not spend hundreds of hours studying but if you try to incorporate these tips into your daily activities then preparing for the exam won’t be such a headache.
- Before starting, make sure that you have these in hand: Data entry practice programs and review books and textbooks. You must have access to a keyboard and machine or laptop.
- Getting some hands on practice as a clerk. The best way for you to practice is to find yourself a job as a clerk to do some data encoding. This way, you will be earning while you are also gaining experience. While there are a lot of tips for effective data encoding, nothing beats the learning experience of trying the tips firsthand. Be observant of your coworker’s style, too, and feel free to ask for tips.
- Getting some downloadable practice programs. If you cannot get a clerk job as a data encoder, download some data encoding software that will help you sharpen your skills. There are some programs that you can get for free while there are others that can be bought for a minimal price. Look around for trial versions of the paid applications so that you can make sure they are good programs for you before you make the investment. Run the programs half an hour a day at least to sharpen your skills. Most of these programs have scoring systems that will help you compete with your personal best to enhance your encoding skills.
- Check your proper posture and hand movements. While you are practicing your encoding, make sure that you are observing proper posture and hand positioning so that you will avoid injuries such as the carpal tunnel syndrome or injuries to your ulnar nerve. Make sure that you also rest your hands periodically so that you are not too tired when you are practicing or encoding.
- Reviewing the tips prior to the exam. When you are days away from your exam, review the pointers to proper data encoding to make sure you are not forgetting some key points. By this time, your skills should be a habit to you already and are a part of your daily routine. The longer you do your encoding in the proper way, the more natural it will come to you, which most often translates to you being more efficient and effective at what you do.
Even if there are spell check and accuracy check measures in most data encoding software, it is still a good mark of a good encoder to be naturally accurate on what she encodes. Be it numbers, formula, long paragraphs or medical transcripts, the main purpose of encoded data is to have a backup copy that will serve as reference for the future.