If you have coarse hair, you might have a hard time styling your hair the way that you want to. The good thing is, there are some remedies that could help you effectively address the situation. Here are some of the ways that you could best treat coarse hair.
- Consult your doctor. Though coarse hair is not exactly a serious ailment, there is a chance that it could actually be a symptom of a deeper condition. Some of these possible conditions include hypothyroidism and ovarian disease. If you want to be doubly-sure that your coarse hair is just what it is, you could take the time to consult your doctor to strike out the possibility of these conditions.
- Get a hot oil treatment. You could opt for a professional hot oil treatment, or you could prepare your own treatment with materials you have at home. Read this helpful article for some tips.
- Avoid exposing your hair to too much heat. Coarse, dry hair is caused by excessive dryness that could be aggravated by exposing your hair to hair blowers, or curling irons.
- Avoid hair products with alcohol. Alcohol is another major factor that contributes to hair dryness. Check your hair products – such as mousse, pomades, hair sprays and hair gels – and chuck them out if they have alcohol. Instead, you should choose products that contain natural moisturizers in order to add moisture and to help you best condition your hair. Some of the most recommended hair products for dry, coarse hair include the following: Kerastase Bain Satin (shampoo), Nexxus Emergence (conditioner), Aussie 3-Minute Miracle (hair mask) and J.F. Lazartique Vita-Cream with Milk Proteins (hair repair cream).
- Have your hair trimmed every 4 to 6 weeks. This will help you get rid of your hair’s dry and split ends and help you score tamer and less coarse hair. Cutting off about ½ inch should be enough.
- Use leave-on conditioners. Leave-on conditioners help your hair maintain moisture all day long. One of the most recommended leave-in conditioners include Kiehl’s Leave-On Hair Conditioner.
- Avoid shampooing your hair too frequently. Though this may seem counterintuitive, but over-shampooing your hair could actually strip your hair of its natural oils that would lead to more severe dryness. The expert tip is to shampoo your hair every other day, but you could condition it daily.
- Wear a hat. Weather elements - sun, wind, snow – can take their toll on the health of your hair. Protect your hair by wearing a hat or covering your hair with a scarf whenever you go outdoors.
- Try home remedies. Apart from using commercial hair products, you could also take advantage of food products that could work to moisturize your hair. Some of these include mayonnaise (massage it onto your hair and leave it on for about 5 to 10 minutes), olive oil, or even beer (spray it onto your hair using a pump bottle after you’ve shampooed and towel-dried your hair).
Remember, caring for your hair is one of the best things you could do for your overall appearance. Start now with addressing your hair problem, be patient and consistent, and your future self will surely thank you for the efforts you will make today. Good luck, and hope this helped!