Even the most hygienic of people will usually fall to the embarrassing clutches of dandruff. Yes, those white pesky flakes coming from your scalp can be seen in even the cleanest people. This is because most of the time, the problem of dandruff stems from the dryness or sensitivity of the scalp and not due to unhygienic practices. Normally, a simple change in the shampoo you use can solve this problem. However, for those that constantly suffer from the flakes, there is a treatment that has proven to be pretty effective. This particular treatment involves the use of shampoos consisting of an ingredient called zinc pyrithione. Here are the steps to administer the treatment.
- Purchase the shampoo. Alright, the first step in the process will be to purchase the shampoo. This is not difficult since most anti-dandruff shampoo brands are laced with zinc pyrithione. Some great brands are Clear, Head and Shoulders, and Pantene. You can purchase zinc pyrithione shampoo brands at your local supermarket or beauty supply store. Make sure to check the label to be sure that zinc pyrithione is one of the ingredients.
- Wash your hair. Once you have the right shampoo, step into the bathroom, take off your clothes, and jump into the shower. Open the shower and drench your hair. Make sure to scrub your hair and massage your scalp thoroughly with running water in order to remove all the debris and unwanted particles in your hair. Once your hair is nice and wet, you can proceed with the shampoo.
- Apply the anti-dandruff shampoo. There is no special technique to the application of this type of shampoo. The application method is pretty much the same as with any normal shampoo. First off, squeeze out a generous amount of the shampoo onto your palm. Spread it around on both hands. When that is done, apply it to your hair.
- It is highly recommended to massage the scalp with the shampoo so that it is worked deep within the roots and the scalp. A 2 to 3 minute massaging is recommended as well. Since the shampoo contains zinc pyrithione, there should be a tingling effect on your scalp after a few minutes of massaging. Don’t panic as this is perfectly normal.
- After massaging the shampoo on your scalp, let it sit for another 2 minutes so that the chemical can do its work. At this point, you can proceed to soaping your entire body or do whatever it is you do in the shower. When the time is up, rinse the shampoo out of your hair thoroughly with running water. It is highly recommended to use warm water for the shower for maximum effect.
- Repeat the process. Depending on the severity of your dandruff problem, you may need to apply another round of the shampoo before drying off. This will supposedly magnify the desired effect.
The use of this type of shampoo should be around one to two weeks on a daily basis. If the dandruff is gone by then, you can switch back to your old shampoo and alternate on an every other day basis. On the other hand, if the dandruff problem persists, you may want to consult a dermatologist to see if something else is causing your dandruff.