Hyperpigmentation is the darkening of some spots on the skin. These spots become darker that the normal skin surrounding these. Hyperpigmentation is caused by excessive exposure to sun resulting in production of excessive melanin. Melanin is what gives color to the skin. Furthermore, skin scars due to injuries and acne marks can also become darker when exposed to sun. Though this is usually not a dangerous condition, you may still want to remove this to improve your appearance. Consult your dermatologist so she can provide you with medicines that you can take to treat your dark spots. These medicines and treatments can be bought on any drug stores.
Here are the steps on how to treat hyperpigmentation.
- Bleaching creams. These are known to lighten the skin color. These can be bought over the counter. However, if you have severe hyperpigmentation, you may need to use stronger bleaching creams. These usually need prescription from your doctor. Make sure to get prescription from your dermatologist so you can buy these creams. Dermatologists usually sell these creams as well. Better ask your doctor first if she sells these so you can just buy from her clinic.
- Sunblock. Apply this all over your body to protect your skin from the sun. This is also a good way to prevent hyperpigmentation. If you used bleaching cream, you also need to apply more sunblock after applying this because your skin is more prone to sun’s damage after bleaching. As much as possible, stay inside the house after the bleaching process.
- Laser treatment. With the development of science, laser has been used for treating several medical conditions including eye problems and skin disease. Hyperpigmentation can also be treated with laser. This is called laser skin rejuvenation. The dark spots are removed gradually using laser. This usually takes several sessions to complete. Your dermatologist is the one who will do this procedure.
- Cryosurgery. This is the use of extreme coldness to treat skin diseases. This can also be made for removing the dark spots on your skin. With this process, liquid nitrogen is used to freeze the affected part. The dark skin will then be removed slowly after freezing. This procedure is also administered by the doctor.
- Microdermabrasion. According to ASAPS or the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery, microdermabrasion is among the top 5 nonsurgical procedures for men and women. This is a popular way to rejuvenate the skin. The dermatologist uses special instruments for sanding the skin. This does not only remove the dark spots but it also makes skin smoother and looking younger. This is why even those people without hyperpigmentation also go for this to improve their skin.
Before doing any of these treatments, talk to your dermatologist first so she can advice the best treatment for your hyperpigmentation. You also need to stay at home after undergoing laser treatment, cryosurgery or microdermabrasion to prevent exposure from the sun. Even when the dark spots are gone, make sure to do things that will prevent you from getting these again like wearing a cap, long sleeved shirt and applying sunblock.