Having irritated skin is very annoying. It is not only painful at times; it is also not good to look at. There will be red patches on your arms and face, and sometimes the skin is so irritated that the skin just breaks out in small wounds. The weather is just one factor that irritates the skin. When it is too cold, the skin dries out and gets irritated from lack of moisture. When the weather is too hot, you may get sun burned, which is painful when the skin is red and tender. Sometimes skin products also contribute to the skin’s irritation. When you use skin products that are not compatible with your skin, it gets irritated and becomes red. This article will give you tips on how to cure irritated skin caused by different factors. Read on.
- Use topical medicine. Topical medicines are the ones that are applied directly on the skin. There are different brands of ointments that you can use to get rid of the irritation. Consult your doctor prior to trying on a topical medicine.
- Try using petroleum jelly. This is very ideal to use when the irritated skin is dry and needs to be moisturized. Petroleum jelly has a very oily consistency, so it is best for moisturizing the skin. It also alleviates the itch that comes with the irritation. Apply petroleum jelly on the affected area before bedtime to allow the jelly to absorb into the skin overnight. Wear a long sleeved shirt to avoid it from getting messy.
- Drink plenty of water. Water hydrates the skin better than anything else. Irritated skin that is dry will benefit much from water. Keep a glass handy and drink frequently, every few minutes if possible.
- Apply lotion. Use a mild lotion with not much chemicals in it. Lotion moisturizes and hydrates the skin. Rub a sufficient amount on the irritated area lightly. If you rub too hard, the skin may get more irritated. Rub the skin with a light hand such that the lotion is spread evenly.
- Visit your dermatologist. If the skin irritation is so severe and over-the-counter or home remedies are useless, or if the affected area is big, it is time to consult your doctor so you will be given the right kind of medication to treat your skin. You will be prescribed the right kind and amount of medicine for its fast healing.
Prevention is better than cure, so know the chemistry of your skin and what products are not compatible with it. There are chemicals present in skin products that do more harm than good on skin. With regards to natural events like the weather, if you cannot avoid it altogether, do your best to keep your skin hydrated and moisturized. Keep in mind though that when the irritation is in a sensitive spot, like near the eyes, nose, mouth and other sensitive areas, you need to consult your physician first and foremost.
The treatment tips shown above may not treat irritated skin, especially if the condition is so severe. Proper medical treatment should be sought to ensure the successful treatment of irritated skin.