Simvastatin is used for controlling cholesterol. Although effective, this hypolipidemic drug has many side effects including feeling of weakness, indigestion, diarrhea, and abdominal pain. Other uncommon side effects include muscle cramps, memory loss, and joint pain. Stopping the simvastatin intake is not the best choice, though. You can treat its side effects while enjoying the treatment from the drugs by following the tips below:
- Take pain killers. Abdominal pain, muscle pain, and other kinds of body pain are common when taking simvastatin. You can take over-the-counter pain killers like ibuprofen to reduce muscle pain caused by taking this drug. However, some patients might encounter grave side effects instead of treatment when taking pain killers with simvastatin. It’s best that you talk to a doctor first before taking anything.
- Take multivitamins. Multivitamins are generally safe even when taken along with other drugs like simvastatin. Your regular multivitamin is already fine for this. The vitamins will nourish the body, which is helpful in treating the drug’s side effects. Digestion will also be aided by taking multivitamins. Even cognitive side effects can be treated with a daily dose of multivitamins.
- Have a balanced diet. Talk with a dietician about the best diet for your condition. A well-balanced meal is often the safest bet. Eat lots of vegetables, fruits, and other low-fat proteins. Eating well keeps the balance in your body, which is not only helpful for treating simvastatin side effects. Doing so helps to improve your overall health, too.
- Do not take alcohol. Liver damage will be the result of drinking alcohol while taking simvastatin drugs. Alcoholic beverages are already known as liver destroyers. Simvastatin drugs can severely damage the liver, too. If you can’t stay away from drinking alcohol, then drink only up to one serving in a day—no more, no less.
- Drink lots of water. Separate a three-liter container of drinking water and make sure that you will consume all of it in one day. Keeping your body hydrated helps in relieving muscle pain, lack of focus, memory loss, and headache. Without enough hydration, you might only suffer worse muscle pain and difficulty remembering. Also, avoid drinking beverages that could rob your body with moisture like coffee, tea, and soda. If you can’t stay away from these, then drink more than three liters of water everyday. For example, in every cup of coffee, add three glasses of water. This is enough to replenish the body with the lost fluid.
- Talk with a doctor. Simvastatin drugs should only be taken with a doctor’s prescription. You’ll have to use it for a long time, too, making it necessary to treat its side effects in a long-term basis also. The doctor will help you decide the best treatments for the drug’s side effects. He knows the best for your condition, too.
Sometimes, treating the simvastatin side effects don’t work. In that case, your doctor might recommend you to stop taking the drug. Although simvastatin is effective, it is not the only treatment for controlling cholesterol. Lifestyle changes and other natural treatments are still the best ways to get a “real” cure.