Cuticles serve the purpose of protecting the nail bed. However, it is more aesthetically pleasing to have the toenail cuticles removed in some cases. If you get a professional pedicure, you have the option of having the cuticles removed or simply getting it pushed back.
If you prefer to have the toenail cuticles trimmed, the result is a cleaner look. Many women like to have the cuticles trimmed because it makes the nail look larger and cleaner. Also, the pedicure seems much more polished compared to if the cuticles were simply pushed back
Here’s how to trim toenail cuticles.
- Prepare your tools. You need to prepare your tools before you start. Get a pair of cuticle scissors and sanitize it by saturating the tips with some rubbing alcohol. Wipe it dry with a piece of soft cloth or tissue paper. If you are doing a pedicure after, you must also have some cotton balls, cuticle cleaner and nail polish at hand. You should also have a small basin filled with warm water and a cup of Epsom salts or peppermint foot salts.
- Prepare the nails. To soften the toenails and cuticles, you need to soak your feet first. Get a basin and fill it up with warm water. If you have a home foot spa, set it up. To add to the relaxation process, add a cup of Epsom salts or your choice of peppermint foot salts. You may also add a few drops of your favorite essential oil. Turn on the foot spa and sit back and relax for the next ten to twenty minutes. However, don’t make the mistake of soaking too long or you may dry out your skin. Soaking your feet will also soften any callus on your feet.
- Use the cuticle scissors and start trimming. Get your sanitized pair of cuticle scissors and start with the big toe. Start at the end and work your way in. be careful as you reach the curve of the nail.
- Do a little bit at a time. When trimming your toenail cuticles, you don’t need to cut off a lot. You only need a little bit to see an improvement. If you cut too close to the nail or the skin, you risk exposing the nail to infection. Also, you may injure yourself if you cut off too much cuticle and end up removing the protective skin around the nail bed.
- Repeat the process. When you are done with the first nail, more on to the next toenails. When you are done with one foot, you can now trim the toenail cuticles of the other foot. To make it easier, you may want to use a toe separator so each toe is isolated.
After you have trimmed off the toenail cuticles, your toes are now ready for a luxurious pedicure. You can keep cleaning your nails by using a cuticle removed. Gently scrape off the topmost layer of the nail. Have fun with your pedicure and choose your favorite color and paint your nails. Have fun!