A fireplace is an architectural element in many homes. It is important to have a fireplace that looks updated and current with the rest of the look of the room.
If you are ready to update your fireplace, here are some things that you need to consider.
- Determine what you want. Before you make updates or renovations to the fireplace, you need to ask yourself what you want out of the room. Do you want to be able to use the fireplace? Do you want to update the surface of the fireplace to match the rest of the design aesthetic of the room? Do you want to change the entire surface of the fireplace wall to make it less conspicuous? Knowing what final look you want will help you determine what approach you can take when updating the fireplace.
- Set aside a working budget. Next, you need to determine your budget. How much can you spend for this project? If you don’t have a lot of money, then you may have to settle for simply repainting the brick wall of the fireplace. However, if you have the time and resources to get it done, you can choose to resurface the wall of the fireplace, changing it from brick to stone for example. The more money you have for the project, the more options you have available. You will need to canvas professionals and hardware stores to get a realistic idea on how much you want your project to cost.
- Decide what treatment you want to use. Once you know the look you want and how much you can spend for it, decide on what you want to do then find someone to do it. You can opt to do it yourself. However, if you want to change the entire surface of the fireplace, it’s a good idea to get a professional mason to do it for you.
- Paint the surface. All major methods of updating a fireplace cost time and money and are labor intensive. If you choose to repaint the surface, this will be the cheapest alternative. You will need to scrape off the old surface, use a primer then several coats of masonry paint to do this job.
- Change the mantle. Another method you can use to update your fireplace is to use a different mantle. Purchase a preassembled kit that costs about $300 to $500 dollars depending on the wood finish and replace the existing mantle with a new one.
- Decorate the inside with candles. If you can’t change the fireplace face, then why not spruce up the inside? Use several scented candles in place of actual firewood. This will let you use the fireplace all year round.
- Change the screen. Another way to update the fireplace is to change the accessories. Why not change the screen to another color scheme or design style? Go to the hardware store and see what’s available.
- Cover the fireplace. If you don’t use the fireplace and don’t really need it, then a very cheap alternative to updating it is to cover it with a piece of furniture. For example, you can change the orientation of the entire room by covering the front of the fireplace with a loveseat or sofa. If you don’t use the fireplace, then there’s really no need to leave it open.
Discover your options and choose the one best for you. It’s best to get a professional to do the job if you want any major construction done. Once complete, your updated fireplace will lend your room a new style and feel.