If you want to give your kitchen a new look, you can choose to upholster the kitchen chair. Kitchen chairs are notorious for getting dirty and grimy due to exposure to different food items and liquids. By changing the upholstery, you can give the seat a new life and new look to go with your kitchen.
Here’s how to upholster a kitchen chair cushion.
- Set aside the kitchen chair. Decide which kitchen chair you want to work on. Once you know which specific chair you will work on, bring out the measuring tape and measure the dimension of the seat. This will let you know how much fabric you will need to buy.
- Remove the seat. Push the seat out of the chair. Depending on the chair, you may need to take various approaches. In some cases, the seat is simply placed on top of the chair and all you have to do it push it out. In other styles, you need to unscrew the sides holding up the seat so you can take it out. Once the seat is out, lay it on the floor or worktable.
- Remove the upholstery tacks or staples. Turn the seat over so you can take out the old fabric. In most cases, you only need to pry the old staples out using a butter knife or other flat piece. Most seats are secured on a piece of plywood. Be careful not to damage the plywood since you will use this again.
- Choose new fabric and cut it to size. Once you have removed the old fabric, you can use this as the pattern when cutting your new fabric. Go to the fabric supply store and choose the fabric you want to use. Have fun with the colors or patterns however, be sure to choose something durable and easy to clean. You may even want to choose fabric that has been pretreated with anti stain formula so it won’t get as dirty. A sturdy cotton fabric is an excellent choice.
- Place the fabric over the batting. Take out the old batting, or use a new sheet of batting. Place the fabric on top of the batting and cut it based on the pattern you have. Make sure you allow for some excess fabric on the sides so you have a way of holding on to the fabric.
- Secure the fabric using an industrial stapler. Start on one side and carefully fold in the fabric. You may use some industrial strength glue or the stapler. Tuck the opposite ends so you have an even pull on each side, rather than working clockwise. Turn the seat over to make sure that there is no wrinkling on the fabric.
- Replace the seat. Cut off any excess fabric that may be hanging out. Next, place the seat back on the chair. If you need to screw it back on, do it slowly. If you need to simply tap the seat back down on the seat, then do so.
As you can see, this is a project that you can easily do yourself. It
doesn’t take a lot of time, but the results of your work will look great
in your kitchen. You can change the upholstery of the chair as often as
you like, especially if you decide to redesign the space. When the
project is complete, you’ll have a kitchen chair that is comfortable and
great to look at.