A guitar slide is a piece of tubing made of metal or glass. It is used when playing the guitar in order to change the sound produced from the guitar. The guitar slide is mostly used by blues, jazz, acoustic or rock guitar players. However, there are some artists who use the guitar slide to experiment with their music. If it is the first time you are using a guitar slide, read the following tips to help you start out.
- Choose a slider. The first thing that you have to think about is the type of slider that you are going to use. You can use either a glass or a metal slider. You can use glass if you want to achieve smooth sounds and sustain the notes longer as you play. The metal slider is the one that you can use if you are into experimental music and you want to have a sound good for electric guitars. Use heavier material for playing longer notes and lither material for faster songs.
- Choose which finger to use. The finger to use when playing with a slider is entirely up to you. Take note of the convenience and ease of playing when choosing a finger. For most guitar players, the best finger to use with the slider is the pinky finger. Try to play with the slider on different fingers so that you can see which one you feel most comfortable using. You can use the ring finger, pinky finger or your middle finger.
- Using the guitar slide. Now all you have to do is practice. It might take a while before you get used to the feeling of playing the guitar with the guitar slide on your finger. Once you get the hang of it, playing will be easier. Take note that you do not need to press down on the fret of the guitar when you have a slider. All you have to do is slide it up and down the fret to achieve different sounds. When using the slide, position your slider finger directly on top of the fret bar and not on the spaces in between.
- Eliminate unwanted sound. You may notice that there are buzzing sounds produced when you use the guitar slider. This can be eliminated. All you need to do is to mute the strings that are under the slide so that they do not vibrate and produce the unwanted buzzing sound. Listen carefully as you practice so that you can come up with clean sounds when playing your guitar.
- Practice, practice, practice. Practice using the guitar slide every day. You will get better quicker when you take time to get used to the feeling of playing with the guitar slide. You will also learn your own techniques along the way as you get better in using the guitar slide.
Follow these tips and soon you will be playing the guitar with a slide like a pro. There are also plenty of other websites that you can visit online so that you can get more tips on how to use a guitar slider.