If you have long hair, then there will be times that you need to get your hair strands off your face. You can use a bandana, headband or clips. However, if none of these are available, you can also use chopsticks!
Chopsticks aren’t just for eating. It’s also a great tool to use to style your hair and hold it in place. It’s cheap, convenient and readily available. Here’s how to use chopsticks to style your hair.
- Get a pair of chopsticks. If you’re using chopsticks for your hair, make sure that it is a fresh and clean pair. For hygienic reasons, don’t grab the ones off the table while you are using it. You can easily get a pair of disposable wooden chopsticks from any Asian restaurant or even the Japanese and Chinese deli counter at your local supermarket. You can also buy a pair of chopsticks or hair sticks from the hair and beauty section of Target and other beauty supply stores. If the chopsticks you will use are connected, break it apart so you have two separate sticks.
- Brush your hair. To be able to style your hair using chopsticks, your hair needs to be at least shoulder length long. If your hair is too short, you won’t be able to tie it back and there won’t be any hair to work with. With a brush, detangle your hair. Use a wide tooth comb if your hair has many knots or if it’s too difficult to brush. Use a detangling spray if your hair is too kinky of tangled.
- Make a ponytail. With one hand, gather your hair. Choose if you want to hold your hair up at the nape or higher up on the head. If your hair isn’t that long or thick, it may be easier to pull it back close to the nape. Having your hair in a bun at your nape is more sophisticated while having a bun close to the crown of your head is more youthful. You can choose to use an elastic band for a more secure hold, or just use the sticks to hold the hair for a softer look.
- Twist the hair. As you gather the hair, twist it in your hand so that it forms a bun or cinnamon roll on your head. The more hair you have, the thicker and more rolls you can create. Hold the hair in place.
- Thread the first chopstick in the hair. With your free hand, get the first stick. Starting from the top and working your way down, push the chopstick through the bun. Try to thread it in such a way that you get hair from both the bun and the scalp. This will help hold the hair in place.
- Use the second chopstick. Now, get the second stick and push it down the hair bun but start from a different angle. Again, weave the stick around your hair.
- Secure the hold. You can use some bobby pins to hold the hair in place or spray your hair with some hair spray to hold the style.
There you have it! A fun and easy way to style your hair using chopsticks!