Though you can get Dramamine over the counter, it is very important that you practice care when using it for treatment. This is a medication that is known to treat nausea that is associated with flu, motion sickness, food poisoning, and the like. But if you fail to use this correctly, you can end up not getting the relief you need and rather make your situation worse. So before you take Dramamine for nausea, take note of these following reminders in using it:
- Make sure Dramamine is the best drug for your condition. Take note that Dramamine cannot be of help to you if it is not the right drug for your situation. Hence, it is best to understand what this pill can do and what it can offer. In most cases, it is best to check with your physician prior to using this drug for your nausea.
- Make sure that it is safe for you to take Dramamine. If you are pregnant, breastfeeding, or trying to get pregnant, it is important that you do not take this medication at all. Also, take note that Dramamine can help in further worsening medical conditions including problems in the liver, kidney, bladder, urinary tract, asthma, and glaucoma. It will always be best to talk to your doctor first to ensure it will be safe for you to take Dramamine or not.
- Understand the side effects that this drug can possibly offer. Dramamine is known to offer side effects including change in appetite, constipation, diarrhea, drowsiness, dizziness, and the like. Hence, when taking this medication, take note to watch your usual lifestyle. Since it can offer you drowsiness and confusion, it is best not to drive or operate heavy equipment while taking this medication. Also, it is better to avoid playing sports just until the side effects have worn off.
- Read the instructions that come with the drug. Follow the proper dosage of Dramamine for best results. More often than not, it is recommended that you take up to 400 milligrams a day with increments of about every four to six hours. Plus, take note that each intake of Dramamine must be accompanied by one glass of water.
- Make sure of the proper storage of the medication. Check out the labels in terms of the proper storage rules for the medication. Usually, it must be stored in an area with no moisture but still at room temperature. Keep in mind that if Dramamine becomes too moist or too dried, it will offer a weaker performance for you no matter how much you follow its dosage instructions.
- Take note of other drugs you are taking in conjunction with Dramamine. Keep in mind that Dramamine can offer side effects if taken with some drugs such as antidepressants, sedatives, and muscle relaxers. This is also true for other drugs like those that are for pain, allergies, and cold. In most cases, alcohol use can also give off negative effects if you are taking Dramamine.
Dramamine is an over-the-counter drug that must be used properly for best results. If you experience serious side effects of Dramamine such as sudden seizures, convulsions, difficulty in breathing, and the like, immediately go to the ER for proper diagnosis.