Osteoporosis is a condition where the bones get brittle because of several reasons. Some of these are old age, lack of calcium intake in the body, physical injury and the inability of the body to heal itself because of poor health. Some people have better coping mechanisms when it comes to repairing the damage in their bones. Some are not so lucky and succumb to this condition. Osteoporosis is more common in the elderly than in people who are younger than 50. But there are a small percentage of people below 50 who are sufferers of osteoporosis. There is a wide variety of medications that can be taken to treat osteoporosis, but naturopathy is a safer way to go. Naturopathy uses natural and non-invasive methods to treat different kinds of illnesses. If you have osteoporosis and you do not want chemicals and drugs to invade your system, naturopathy is the best one for you. This article will list some of the naturopathic remedies that you can use to treat osteoporosis. Read on.
- Diet. The main component of our bones is calcium. If your diet lacks calcium, it is time for you to eat more food rich in calcium. Drink milk that is formulated for the restoration and strengthening of the bones. Supplement your calcium intake with vitamins. Eat less protein, as the more protein you take in, the less calcium is absorbed by the body.
- Herbs. Red clover and drynaria root are two kinds of herbs that are effective in treating osteoporosis. Red clover has a substance called isoflavonoids which help in restoring bone mass, and helping to prevent the early onset of osteoporosis when frequently taken before being diagnosed of the condition. Drynaria root, on the hand, is effective in strengthening the bones. There are other herbs that can be used for treating osteoporosis. Consult your naturopathic doctor for more herbs that you can use.
- Healthy lifestyle. There are certain foods and other things that contribute to the early onset of osteoporosis. There are foods that block the absorption of calcium by the body. Some of these are foods that have too much salt and sugar, dairy products and meat and carbonated and caffeinated drinks. When you are a smoker, maybe it is time for you to think of quitting as the nicotine in cigarettes and tobacco halt the process of absorbing calcium into the bones.
- Exercise. Consult your doctor for the right kinds of exercise to help strengthen your bones. You cannot just do random exercises as some can actually worsen your condition. Start with light exercises. Keep away from heavy exercise equipment as they can damage your bones further if you do not know the proper to use them.
- Hydrotherapy. This kind of naturopathic remedy includes the use of water for exercise. Water exercises help in strengthening the bones and the whole body. Go swimming in the beach or in the pool. If you do it often, you will notice that your bones no longer ache and they will seem stronger than before.
When stricken with osteoporosis, it is important to keep in mind that it is not the end of the world. If the condition confines you to your bed or wheelchair, remember that there are remedies to treat it. Be vigilant and persistent in your treatments if you really want to get your life back. Prior to using the naturopathic remedies mentioned above, consult a naturopathic doctor so you can be tested and the right naturopathic treatment be prescribed to you.