Nutmeg is more popularly known because of its zesty, sweet and spice taste rather than because of its healthy properties. Little do people know about the health wonders that nutmegs can provide. As a matter of fact, nutmegs can be used to treat high blood pressures, heart disorders, cough, indigestion, pain, heart problems, gastrointestinal problems, halitosis and many more.
- Use nutmeg to treat scarring. Recent studies have shown that nutmeg, when combined with honey, makes an effective remedy to scarring. In essence, what the nutmeg does is that it prevents skin aging and deters degradation of human tissues. And when these nutmeg properties are combined with the antibiotic and cell generating property of honey, the result is a powerful scar antidote substance. Just simply mix well a tablespoon of honey with a tablespoon of nutmeg powder. Spread the mixture directly on affected areas. Leave it there for at least 30 minutes, and rinse it well with water after. Repeat this for 3 to 4 times a week at uniform intervals. Visible results should materialize in 2 to 3 weeks if done properly. Expect a stinging pain when using the mixture.
- Use nutmeg to subdue acne break outs. Nutmeg has an active substance, which, if used properly, can effectively contain and tame acne break outs. All you have to do is to mix nutmeg powder or ground nutmeg with milk to make a cream. Then, apply the nutmeg paste directly on affected areas, and let it stay for an hour or two. Do not forget to rinse it off after the prescribed period. Do this once a day until the acne dries up and disappears.
- Use nutmeg to cure toothaches. Mix nutmeg with petroleum jelly. Spread it on the part of your jaw where the aching tooth is. This would soothe the pain in no time.
- Use nutmeg to lessen, if not totally eliminate, halitosis. Nutmegs have antiseptic properties and when combined with its wooden aroma can effectively weaken, if not eradicate, bad breath. Mix a teaspoon of nutmeg powder or nutmeg oil and a pinch of salt with 50 ml of distilled water. Gargle the nutmeg solution every after you brush your teeth before bedtime. For better results, do this on a daily basis.
- Use nutmeg to cure sleeping problems. Incorporating a dash of nutmeg powder or ground nutmeg can with your nightly dose of a hot cup of milk can be an effective way of promoting sleepiness. If does not work on you, try to incorporate it with chamomile tea instead.
- Use nutmeg to treat liver diseases. Drink a teaspoon of nutmeg oil on a daily basis to help remove toxins from your liver.
- Excessive intake of nutmeg can be harmful. While discussed above are the various ways of using nutmeg for health purposes, ingesting too much nutmeg may cause nausea, body pain, convulsion, hallucination, and heart palpitation. Be careful to not take it in excessive amounts of nutmeg or you might suffer the aforementioned side effects, instead of getting actual health from it.