Bunions, when not given attention early on, can require surgery for it to be corrected. However, you can avoid getting into this situation if you make sure you take care of your feet during the early signs of this condition. In fact, it is possible to use orthopedics to avoid even the development of bunions. So if you are in fear of having bunions, take these steps to help you handle it through orthopedics:
- Get the help of a bunion regulator. This is a device that works to help in stretching out toe muscles gently. Using a regulator overnight is known to relieve the discomfort and pain associated with bunion. If you have an existing bunion, using this regulator can prevent it from going worse.
- Use bunion cushion in your shoe. This cushion must be inserted in your shoe just by the toe region. The cushion will serve as a soft place for the bunion to land as you walk. With this, the bunion will be free from any kind of irritation even if you walk. If you have a smaller bunion, using a bunion sleeve is a better option.
- Use bunion splint device. Like the cushion, this must be worn in the shoe. This makes the toes separated so that the pressure on your foot will be distributed, which promotes better healing of the bunion.
- Use toe regulators for your bunion. Regulators are inserted in the toes to stretch out the toe tendons and muscles. They help in easing out the pain and discomfort offered by bunions. Plus, they prevent the bunions to get any worse.
- Use heel cup in your shoe. This is best used if you are at risk of getting bunions. This must be inserted in the shoe to minimize any kind of irritation in the foot. This is because a heel cup promotes pressure distribution and proper shoe fit.
- Wear only the right shoes to handle bunions. This is usually one of the most important steps that you must not at all forget. This is necessary for you to follow if you do not want to acquire bunions. Same is true if you want to treat this condition. Take note that it is best to get shoes that are not tapered or pointed. The best shoes for you to wear are the ones with a wide breadth and enough toe box space.
- Consult your orthopedic surgeon prior to trying any of the above techniques. Take note that an orthopedic’s guidance is necessary to help you succeed in this task. Hence, consult your situation with a professional and ask recommendations in terms of the tools and techniques you must use. Even when speaking of the right shoes to wear, he can give you proper suggestions in terms of the best pick for your condition.
Bunions are not at all great guests to your feet. Hence, it is just
proper to handle them properly to avoid them from developing any
further. Though there are a lot of tools available for you to avoid
bunions, take note that it is still important to seek the help of
professionals here. This way, you can be certain not only of the
effectiveness of each technique but also of the suitability of a
specific technique for your condition.