Ginseng is a very popular root that is used in various parts of the world. American ginseng is traditionally used by Native Americans to treat a variety of ailments. In order to harness the curative powers of American ginseng, it needs to be used properly. It has been know to aid the body recover from periods of stress, as well as help boost the immune system, improve stamina and treat infertility, headaches and even indigestion. Newer studies have shown that American ginseng may help with diabetes prevent cancer and even help with patients diagnosed with ADHD.
Here’s how to use the root of American ginseng.
- Take it in capsule form. One of the easiest ways to take in American ginseng is to swallow a pill. It comes in capsule or tablet form. It is readily available in health food stores. Read the manufacturer’s directions and follow the instructions carefully.
- Take it in powder form. American ginseng can also be purchased in powder form. Mix it with a glass of water and drink it as a juice or tonic. If you need, you can add a tablespoon of honey to sweeten it up a bit.
- Use the liquid tincture. You can purchase liquid extracts of American ginseng from health food stores. You can take it directly in the mouth or mix it with a drink. Follow the instructions on the packaging. When you drink it, you can down it down with a glass of water or other beverage. You can safely take anywhere between one to three teaspoons of the tincture, up to three times a day. Aside from liquid tincture, it is also available as a fluid extract. In this case, you should only consume no more than half a teaspoon up to three times a day.
- Use the roots to make a tea. Get some fresh roots of American ginseng and boil it in a pot of water. You can drink the tea you made to help relieve a sore throat. To make it more soothing, add a tablespoon of honey to balance out the flavor. The longer you boil the roots in the water, the stronger the flavor will be.
- Chew the root. Peel the outer skin and make a few thin slices of the root. You can place it directly in your mouth and chew it. This will instantly release the powerful antioxidants found in the root. Not everyone may be able to tolerate the full and undiluted flavor of the root. This can be done to help relieve nausea and dizziness.
Although it has many health benefits, you should avoid giving American ginseng to children. There are not enough long term studies done on how it affects young children’s bodies so don’t give it to your child, unless specified by a pediatrician.
If you are pregnant or breastfeeding, consult with your doctor. If you suffer from insomnia, high blood pressure, have a psychological disorder or have any other preexisting medical condition, you should also seek the advice of a trained medical professional before deciding to use American ginseng.