Wheat germ oil has a lot of beneficial uses. It is an unrefined oil with a strong aroma and thick consistency that can be obtained from the germ of wheat grains. The germ comprises only three percent of the whole weight of the wheat grain, but it contains twenty five percent of the total percentage of proteins, vitamins and minerals of the grain. This is where most of the skin and medicinal benefits of wheat germ oil come from. Here is how you can use wheat germ oil in different applications.
- Because it has a lot of proteins and lecithins as well as vitamins and minerals, wheat germ oil can be used to treat a lot of skin problems. It is known to be able to treat eczema and psoriasis. If you have skin ulcers and burns, wheat germ oil is also known to effectively heal those skin problems. It can also be applied externally as it helps soothe and moisturize dry skin and improve the blood circulation in the skin.
- You can also apply it directly on your skin to treat dermatitis. It is also known to reduce scarring and even soothe skin cells that have been damaged by over exposure to the sun. You can buy wheat germ oil in capsules and rub it directly to the burned or damaged spot.
- You can also try to add wheat germ oil in your dishes. You can put it in your pasta dishes and even on your salads and vegetables. Just make sure that you do not put too much since wheat germ oil has a very strong aroma. Just add a drizzle and make sure that you do not heat it since the important protein complexes are broken down by such a process.
- Aside from using it externally in the form of body lotion or cream, you can also ingest it as a dietary supplement. Other than being a rich source of Vitamin E, it also has a substantial amount of other essential vitamins such as A, B1, B2, B3, B6, D and F. It also has a lot of important fatty acids and proteins. This is the reason why wheat germ oil has a lot of cosmetic and healing purposes.
- It is also known that wheat germ oil enhances endurance and stamina due to the octacosanol, a long chain of saturated primary alcohol that it contains. Although this has not yet been scientifically proven, it has been used during the 1960's by some athletes to increase their muscular strength and stamina.
- You can also use wheat germ oil as an anti-aging product. This is probably the reason why it is added to carrier oils before being applied to the skin during massage and aromatherapy sessions. It can decrease wrinkles, stretch marks and scars among others.
To increase its shelf life, it is advisable that you refrigerate wheat germ oil to keep it from becoming rancid and stale. Wheat germ oil has a typical shelf life of about six to eight months.