Boots are a staple for every practical person and fashionista. So you can wear boots comfortably, many come with felt boot liners. These are easily removable and detachable from the boots so that you can get them clean as needed. You don’t need to get the felt boot liners professionally cleaned. You can do it yourself in a few easy steps. Here’s how to wash felt boot liners.
- Remove the felt boot liners from the shoes. Follow the seams and find out how the felt liners are connected to the shoes. In some cases, you can simply pull it out. In other styles, there may be a small button or hook that attaches the liner to the shoe. Carefully remove it so you can wash the liners.
- Fill a basin with warm to cool water. Get a small basin or bucket. Turn on the tap and fill it with just the right amount of water. Don’t use hot water when washing felt or it will shrink. Use cold water if possible.
- Add a few drops of dishwashing liquid. Dishwashing liquid is the mildest cleanser yet it is very effective at removing stains, grease, dirt and odors off items. Mix a few drops of the liquid to the water. Swirl your hand in the water to create some lather.
- Soak the liners in the basin. Now that the water bath is ready, you can gently place the felt boot liners in. If it floats up, push down the liners so that it is completely submerged in the water. Leave it in the water for about ten minutes. For extra dirty liners, you may choose to leave it for a longer time.
- Squeeze the liners to create lather. Don’t scrub the liners. Give it a gentle squeeze to help squeeze out the dirt on the felt. Do not wring the liners or you will cause it to lose its shape.
- Rinse the soapy water out. When the water is dirty and the liners are clean, rinse it with water. You can fill up the basin with clean cool water and soak the liners for a few minutes more.
- Allow to dry. Get a towel and set it on a table or laundry drying rack. Place the liners on the towel and let it air dry. Do not apply heat or it will shrink.
When the liners are ready, you can simply put it back in the shoes. Make
sure that you return the correct liner in the proper shoe. You don’t
want the left liner going on your right shoe boot do you?
Once your felt shoe liners are clean, you can go ahead and wear your
boots again to your heart’s content. To keep them clean and free from
smells, stuff the boots with newspapers or dab a bit of baking soda in.
Aside from washing the liners, you should also take the time to shine
your boots. Use the appropriate leather treatment on your shoes so you
can get them looking clean and new.