Aquarium decorations are part of what makes owning an aquarium fun, aside from the fish of course! There are many different styles of decorations, many different ways to present them, precautions to take, and many different places to find and buy them. In this article we will explore all of the fun decorations that are available and where to find them, as well as the other topics listed above.
- Tank Size: The first thing you want to do before you buy decorations is to make sure you are aware of the size of your tank. If you are not sure, you can measure it, and a person at a pet store should be able to tell you how many gallons it is. This is an important fact to know before beginning to buy decorations.
- Fish Size: Although this may seem silly, it is important to keep the size of your fish in mind when buying decorations. If you have a particularly large fish such as an Oscar or a Jack Dempsey, you will want to stay away from very small decorations. Fish like these could confuse these as food and easily choke on them. They may also view them as toys and that could result in the same. This is also true if you have small fish. There are many decorations that a particularly small fish such as a Tetra, Molly or a Guppy could get stuck in. If a fish is lodged in a place for too long without you noticing, it could result in death, and that is something we want to avoid.
- Plants: Plants are among the most common and the most popular aquarium decorations by far! There are many choices when it comes to plants. You can choose to get real live plants, but if you choose to do that, you will want to make sure that they are compatible with your fish. Some fish will destroy real plants. Fake plants, however, come in all styles and sizes. They also come in many different colors.
If you have fish that are large and strong, you might want to consider plants that have weighted bottoms. These have large bottoms that have to be buried into the gravel, and make it a lot harder for the fish to pull up.
- Other Decorations: There are many many different kinds of aquarium decorations. You will find everything from ancient ruins to treasure chests to simple rock designs. If you find the right store, your options will seem endless!
If you have a saltwater tank, you might consider coral designs, and more pirate-like decorations.
For regular freshwater tanks, you can be as creative as you want. Create an ancient civilization or even get some moving decorations. Moving decorations are a little more expensive, but they are a lot of fun. These commonly attach to an air pump, which provides them motion. You can find treasure chests that open and shut as well as divers who dive up and down, all the time with air bubbles popping up!
- Backgrounds: Backgrounds for aquariums used to be very popular, although with the growing amount of 3-dimensional decorations, the need for them has subsided. Despite this, they are still available and can be fun. They are pieces of plastic (waterproof) that attach to the back of your tank. They are made to fit any tank size. They come in a variety of styles with many different images.
- Where to Buy Them: Aquarium decorations can be found anywhere that sells pet supplies! The best places to go are large pet stores like PetSmart or Petco. Also fish-specific pet stores should also have large selections. If you want live plants, you may have to search around a bit more for healthy specimens. They are also available online in many locations.
Once you are done searching for and buying aquarium decorations, hopefully you will have an aquarium to be proud of! Remember that you will have to keep the decorations clean and free of algae after you have placed them in the tank.