Belly bands, or dog diapers, are a tool that helps stop your new puppy or old dog from leaking urine on the carpet. If your male dog has an incontinence problem or if you puppy is new to training and tends to urinate all over your house, you should consider making a dog belly band. Follow these steps for this helpful pet aide:
How to make belly bands for dogs:
- Measure the dog’s belly. Use a flexible tape measure to measure the circumference of your pet’s belly.
- Cut a section of cotton fabric. The fabric should be the measurement from step one plus three inches and roughly nine inches wide.
- Fold the band. Lay the fabric out on a flat surface so the nine-inch side is at the top and bottom. From the right side, fold the fabric in thirds. Fold it a second time from the right. You should now have a strip three inches wide with an open side on the left.
- Sew the seams. With your needle and thread sew a seam on the top, right side and bottom of the strop of fabric. Then on the left side, separate the open side from the folded side. Sew a seam along the folded side to secure the fold in place. This should leave the opening in place.
- Add the Velcro. Sew a section of Velcro to the top of the strip of fabric. Flip the fabric over. Then sew the connecting piece of fabric to the bottom of the fabric strip. When wrapped in a circle the two pieces of Velcro should connect to hold the band secure around the dog’s body.
- Slip in the maxi pad. You don’t have to use pads in the dog diaper, but this makes for easier cleanup and helps handle larger leaks. Slide the pad into the opening in the side of the fold.
- Place the belly band. Wrap the belly band around your dog. Be sure to position it so the Velcro is at the dog's back and the pad is under the dog’s belly. Then slide the bands toward the dog’s hind legs so that the band covers the top of your puppy’s penis to trap any tinkles.
Providing an animal diaper for your pet dogs can help stop the frustration of leaks and frequent urination around the house. Keep your relationship with your pet happy and stress free by helping him prevent accidents with the simple addition of dog belly bands.