A raccoon is a cute animal that can be a pest, especially if they are loose in your garden. They can make a mess of your flowers and this can be quite irritating. Nowadays, there are more and more raccoons that are caught in gardens and lawns of homes. If you are having raccoon trouble at home, you do not have to call someone for help right away. You can catch the creature on your own using a bait. If you make use of this bait, your garden will surely be raccoon free in a few days.
Here are the steps on how you can catch a raccoon:
- Materials. Purchase the materials that you will need for catching the raccoon. You will need a trap and some bait. The best bait to use in luring a raccoon is peanut butter. For the trap, you can rent one from your local animal services so that you won’t have to purchase one.
- Survey the area. First, survey the area where the raccoon dwells. It is best to know how the raccoon moves before you set up your trap. When you pick a spot to put your trap, choose a spot that is against a wall or a solid structure so that the trap won’t move around when the raccoon is inside it. If not, there is a chance that the raccoon can escape.
- Set up the trap. Now, you are ready to set up your raccoon trap. Spread peanut butter at the middle of the trap to get your raccoon inside it. You can put a generous amount so that the raccoon can easily smell the treat and it will be quicker for you to catch it. After setting it up, place a solid material, such as a brick or a rock on top of the trap so that the raccoon will have a hard time moving it.
- Catching the raccoon. When the trap is set, all you have to do is to wait. This can take at least a day up to a few days. The raccoon will most likely come out at night so it is best to check the trap every morning. If you want, you can set up a number of traps all over your garden so that it will be easier for you to catch the raccoon.
- Release the raccoon. Once you catch the raccoon, make sure that you don’t hurt it. You can release the raccoon in another area far from your home. If you do not know what to do with the raccoon, you can contact your local animal service and let them take care of the creature.
These are the simple steps on how you can catch a raccoon that is loose in your house. Be patient in catching a raccoon as this might take longer than you think. When handling raccoons that are inside the trap, make sure that you do not poke it or try to pet it as these raccoons can be wild and aggressive.