Sugar gliders are adorable little animals that can live up to 15 years if kept healthy. Sugar gliders are unique pets, marsupials, originally from Australia, so it's important to know how to care for a sugar glider and keep them healthy.
- Sugar gliders can be loving and affectionate pets, sometimes known as "pocket pets" because some owners carry the small animal around in a pocket while they are going about their day. However, if sugar gliders aren't given the attention they need, they can become moody and bite.
- Part of the sugar gliders health will be its happiness. In order for a sugar glider to be happy, it needs attention and companionship. Bonding is very important to sugar gliders so you will need to bond with them and give them a companion sugar glider they can bond with and cuddle in a pouch with. It's always recommended to get more than one sugar glider because they are social creatures. Next, it's human owner should make an attempt to play with or spend time with their sugar glider on a regular basis to keep it from getting wild and biting.
- Another very important aspect of keeping sugar gliders healthy is it's diet. Sugar gliders like different foods, so it's important to give them a variety of food instead of giving them the same food every day. Sugar gliders are not like cats or dogs where you get a bag of food and feed them the same food every day.
- In the wild, sugar gliders eat fruits and insects. You can feed your sugar gliders insects if you want, they are high in protein and its part of the diet of wild sugar gliders. You don't have to go out and catch insects, you can buy crickets or meal worms from any pet store.
- Also be sure to feed your sugar glider a variety of fruits. They like apples, apricots, oranges, cherries, pineapples, grapes, papayas, and more. They also like peanut butter, seeds, and eggs. With sugar gliders living in cages, it's important to not let them gain too much weight so watch how much seeds and nuts you feed them since they are high in fat.
- Many owners of sugar gliders find it easy to feed their sugar gliders baby food. Go to any baby food aisle and grab some of those plastic containers of baby food and they will love it. Also keep apple sauce to feed your pet because they love apple sauce.
With bonding and a healthy, mixed diet, your sugar glider can live a long, healthy life and be a great pet and adorable companion for anyone who has a little extra time to make sure their sugar glider is happy and healthy.