One of the worst nightmares of a home owner is the persistent urination of its pet dog inside the home. Urination is a dog’s way of marking its territory. Training a dog can be an effective way to avoid this behavior, but most dog owners do not have the time and discipline to train their pets. Nowadays, the most popular solution being used to avoid and redirect a dog’s urine is by use of a belly band. You can consider the belly band as a diaper for a male dog. With a little measuring and sewing, you can now ensure a urine-free home.
- The first step in creating your dog urine diaper is to measure your dog’s belly. Use a measuring tape for this.
- Get a strip of flannel and cut it to match the measurement of your dog’s belly. Make sure the strip of flannel you use is wide enough to allow 3-4 lengthwise folds. Folding it multiple times will increase the absorption and strength of the belly band. Inserting strips of cotton or wool along the folds is highly advised to ensure complete absorption.
- Once you have multiple folds in place, sew the edges of the folds together. It is recommended that you use a sewing machine for the stitches. If a sewing machine is unavailable, you can do it by hand.
- Prepare a strip of Velcro to be sewn on each end of the belly band. Velcro will be your primary material to secure and tighten the belly band around the dog. Again, you can sew the Velcro strips using a sewing machine or by hand. Make sure that when you sew the 2 sides of the Velcro on each end of the band that it fits and allows for adjustments should the size of the dog’s belly change.
- Wrap the belly band around the dog’s belly and secure both ends with the Velcro. Make sure the dog’s penis is inserted and secured in the belly band. When you fasten the Velcro, make sure that it is tight enough to hold the dog’s penis in place. This will ensure that any urine will be redirected to and absorbed by the band.
Tips and Warnings
- Instead of Velcro, using belt buckles for the belly band lock can be another alternative.
- If you do not want to use a belly band, you can opt to train your dog instead. Read books about house training a dog. It is a wise move to train your dogs to urinate outside your home at time where you walk your dog. Forming a habit will train the dog to hold his urination until he is walked.
A dog is a man’s best friend. Unfortunately, urine is not. Employing a belly band to act as a dog diaper will ensure the safety and cleanliness of your home. It is highly recommended to make multiple belly bands to ensure that your dog has a clean band all the time.