Deer feed blocks are used to attract deer. Whether it is deer season, or just to feed them nutritious food, these feed blocks are beneficial to deer because of its rich protein content. Readymade deer feed blocks can be very expensive, so to save yourself from spending too much on these feed blocks, why not make your own? You only need a few ingredients, some of which you can find in your kitchen. If you want to attract deer to your backyard, read this article for you to learn how to make your very own deer feed block.
- Gather the ingredients and materials that you will need. Four loaves of bread, a jar each of honey, molasses and peanut butter are the only ingredients that you will need for the feed block. Take out a big, deep dish for the ingredients and a wooden spoon for mixing the ingredients together. You can also use a blender in crushing the loaves of bread, or just your hands.
- Crush the loaves of bread. Using your hands, crush the loaves of bread until fine. If you want to use a blender in this process, you may do so. Blend half a loaf at a time. Continue until you have finished the four loaves. Transfer into the deep dish.
- Pour in the others. Start pouring a jar at a time. Mix the jar of molasses first, then the honey and last, the peanut butter. Stir thoroughly with the wooden spoon until all the ingredients are well blended together. The stirring may be a bit hard because the ingredients are thick. Be patient in stirring.
- Dry the mixture. After you have mixed the ingredients together, stick it out in the sunlight for a few hours to cure the feed block. After you have taken it out of the sunlight, bake it in the oven for a couple of hours at two hundred degrees Fahrenheit. Check if the block is firm and hard. Take out.
- Take the deer feed block outside. You can either put it in a pan or lay it down on the ground. Either way, deer will be attracted to it. If your house is near a forest, you can set it on your yard. If not, drive to the nearest woods and place your deer feed block where deer would be passing by.
This recipe of deer feed block is way cheaper than store bought ones. If
you have leftover loaves of bread from a few days ago, you can use it.
You do not have to buy fresh ones for this. Stale bread can also be
used. You can also add other ingredients to the block, but make sure
that they are safe to be eaten by deer and other wildlife. There are
certain human foods that are not fit for animals. Research on this.
If you want the deer in your nearby forest to grow big and healthy, make
deer feed blocks as much as possible to feed them. You not only feed
the deer with nutritious food, but you help preserve their species as
well. This can be your way of contributing to the conservation of