A woodpecker is a bird that can be found in different places, except in a few countries. Their habitats are mostly in forest areas and woods. If you want to attract a woodpecker to your garden, the best thing to do would be to create your very own woodpecker feeder.
You can hang your woodpecker feeder in your garden so that you can attract woodpeckers. Making your own feeder is not as hard as you think. You will save yourself from going to the store and buying expensive feeders that are sold there. Making your own woodpecker feeder is not only cheaper, but it also allows you to unleash your creativity.
Here are the steps on how you can make your own woodpecker feeder:
1. Materials for the feeder. The materials that you will need for the feeder itself are tree branches, barks, twine, mesh bag and a drill. Woodpeckers seldom leave their habitat so they may only go to your feeder if you have the food that attracts them. Some of the items that you can put in your feeder are:
- Sunflower seeds
- Cracked corn
2. Making the feeder. It would be best if you use a branchy tree in your garden or yard. First, you have to know which end of the bark that you have will be the top of your bird feeder. The branch should be at least six inches long and a bit wide so that you can drill a hole on top of it without breaking the branch. Use several branches. Drill a hole about an inch from the top. Drill the hole perpendicular to the branch.
3. Tying the feeder. When you already have enough branches with holes in them, you can already start tying your feeder. Get the twine that you have and thread a twine through each of the holes in your branches. Tie the twine together. You will end up with a pendant-like branch.
4. Food for woodpecker. Now, you will have to use your mesh bag for this step. Get your mesh bag and fill it with the peanuts, sunflower seeds, raisins and cracked corn. Pack the mesh bag so that you can attract more woodpeckers.
5. Using the feeder. Select a tree in your backyard where there are lots of branches and leaves. Get the pendant-like branches that you made and hang them on the branches of the tree. Place the branches on different twigs of the tree. Afterwards, get your mesh bags and tie them on the branches too. Now you have made your very own woodpecker feeder!
These are the steps on how you can make your own woodpecker feeder. Your garden will surely be visited by woodpeckers in no time. If you want to take a look at the woodpeckers who will visit your garden, it is best if you use binoculars and look at them from afar. Going near the feeder while the birds are there may scare them away so it is advisable to stay at a distance while admiring them.