Since the massive dog food recall in 2007 due to melamine contamination, many dog owners and pet lovers dare not try to buy commercial dog food for their pets. With the dog food recall that happened in 2007, many experts are now recommending turning to homemade diet dog foods instead of commercial dog foods. They believe that the meat used in commercial dog foods are considered unfit for humans. If you feel that feeding pets with commercial dog foods is like feeding them preservatives, you can try this homemade diet dog food. You will only need a simple mix of meat, vegetables and starches for the proper protein and carbohydrate intake of your pet.
- Consult a vet. Consult a veterinarian first and ask for some advice regarding your decision to turn to homemade dog food.
- Follow the ratio. The vet can give you advice on the necessary nutrient intake for your pet. Usually, the ratio of meat to vegetable and starch for a dog food is 40-30-30. Following this formula will ensure a well-balanced diet for your dog.
- Prepare the ingredients. In preparing the homemade dog food, you can try mixing ground turkey, rice, and carrots. You can also mix ground beef with rice, brewer’s yeast and carrots to have some variety.
- Alternatives for nutrient intake. There are various alternatives to the above-mentioned ingredients to satisfy the necessary protein and carbohydrates intake of your dog. For protein, try chicken breast, pork loins, lamb chop, fish like Atlantic salmon, eggs, tofu, and cottage cheese. Potential sources of carbohydrates include rice, pasta, oatmeal, potatoes, carrots, barley, and tapioca.
- Try various diets. Mix these ingredients in the same 40-30-30 ratio to ensure a healthier diet for your dog. Moreover, rotate each diet on your menu so that your dog gets a variety of dog food.
- Keeping the dog food. Cooked dog food should be kept in the refrigerator for not more than three days. Dogs are not only man’s best friend, they are also very much like us when it comes to diet. To ensure that their well-being, healthy foods are necessary.
If you feel like bonding more with your pet dog, there is no better way than to prepare your pet’s food yourself. Many dog owners believe that they feel more bonded to their pets when they make the food themselves. Furthermore, there are several reasons why they prefer homemade than commercial dog foods. Some dogs have inherent allergy problems and preparing their food at home makes it safer for them. Homemade diets also allow pet owners to manipulate the ingredients to allow a better and balanced nutrient intake. If you really love your dog, grab those ingredients now and start making your own homemade food for your beloved pet.