A Doberman pinscher looks fierce and scary. But past its fierceness is actually a very loyal and playful dog and is also very easy to train since they are intelligent animals. You just have to know how to handle and train your Doberman pinscher so that you will be able to discipline him. However, training a Doberman pinscher is different than training a normal dog. This is because this type of dog has a different behavior than your usual dog.
Here are some ways on how you can train your Doberman pinscher:
- The first thing that you must do is let him know who the leader is. You should train him on where to eat, where to sleep, when to play, among other things. Through this it will be established that you are the leader, and dogs are generally good followers. Also train him to get used to the other family members. A Doberman pinscher has a protective attitude and if you do not show him that your family members are close to you, he may feel hatred towards your family and may possibly even attack them.
- The most important thing that you must do is expose your Doberman pinscher to people. This is the biggest step that you have to do so that he will get used to people around him. Doberman pinschers tend to be fierce to strangers and they are quite stubborn and overprotective of their master. If you expose him to people while he is still young you will be avoiding future problems since they easily attack people they do not know especially if that person is talking to his master. However, you must remember to keep him on a leash while exposing him to people so that you will be able to restrain him easily if he gets too excited. A Doberman pinscher’s energy is boundless and he might easily jump on a person.
- Start training him at an early age. There is nothing better than starting training while he is still young. However, you can also train an adult dog though it will be harder and may take longer.
- Teach him the basic commands by guiding him and giving a treat every time he does something correctly. Keep repeating the commands whenever you two are together so that he will get used to it. Though Doberman pinschers are intelligent, they are also quite stubborn and you have to try to work around his stubbornness instead of losing your patience if he will not listen to you.
- Watch out for signs of illness. A Doberman pinscher usually has boundless energy, and even if he is feeling otherwise, most likely he will not show you that he is not feeling well. The best time to assess your dog is during training. If he is following you less than often, it might be a sign that he is not feeling well.
Doberman pinschers are great pets and even friends once you have trained them well.