Converting from one religion (or none at all) to another is a personal, spiritual decision. It involves awareness and faith. If you are thinking about converting, you should learn more about the beliefs and what the religion stands for.
If you have come to a point where you want to choose this religion, here's what to do.
- First of all, you have to realize that converting to a different religion is not simply about joining a church. This is a personal faith and a relationship, not a membership.
- Understand that even though you are striving for a relationship, you are separated from him because no matter how good of a person you are, you still sin. (Romans 3:23).
- By yourself, there is nothing you can do to escape the fact that you sin. You can't be perfect no matter how hard you try.
- Even though you cannot change that your sin prevents you from having a relationship with him, he created a way. He sent Jesus Christ to die for your sins. The Bible says that "while we were still sinners, Christ died for us (Romans 5:8)." He didn't die for the good people, because no one can be good enough. He died for all sinners, especially you.
- Through his sacrifice and resurrection from the dead, he paid the price for your sins. Those who believe will never have their sins counted against them (Romans 4:8).
- If you believe that he loves you; if you believe that he wants a relationship with you; if you believe that you are a sinner and Jesus died for those sins, there is only one more thing you need to do - confess this all to him.
The Bible says, "If you confess with your mouth, "Jesus is Lord," and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved (Romans 10:9)."
- Pray something like this, "God, thank your for loving me. I know I am a sinner, and I believe that you sent Jesus to take the place for my sins. I accept the sacrifice that he made on my behalf. Please forgive my sins and come into my life."
- If you have prayed, find another Christian to share your new faith with. Ask that person to help you to further understand who God is and how he can make a difference in your life.