Being gay is never easy in a patriarchal society like ours, and one of the staunchest patriarchal systems in the world today is Christianity. However, there are now many liberal Christian churches that uphold the rights of gays, lesbians, transsexuals and bisexuals. Contrary to the common notion that homosexuality is a sin, it is absolutely not. If you are gay and want to uphold your faith against the discrimination of the sexists, here are some guidelines to help you.
- Get support from lesbian, gay, transsexuals and bisexual Christian networks. You might feel ostracized by the society and you might think that you have no friend or ally. In this case, you can look for liberal Christian churches in your place. You will find company in them and will help you cope up with the sexist society.
- Conduct your own study of the Bible. If you do a thorough study of the Bible, you will find out that many verses and rules in the Bible are not applicable to you, and have been interpreted wrongly in the dominant Christian belief. For example, you will notice that there are commandments regarding the prohibition of eating of birds and such. If properly contextualized, you will find out that this commandment refers to the Jewish religion. Another is the notorious incident at Sodom and Gomorrah, which is an example often used to justify the condemnation of people not subscribing to the dominant dichotomy of male and female. Look up Ezekiel 16:48-50 in the Bible and you will find out the true reason why the two cities were eliminated by God’s wrath.
- Always keep in mind Jesus’ two main commandments. Jesus said in the New Testament that the law can now be reduced to two commandments: love your God with all your heart, and love your neighbor as you love yourself. Considering this, you will see that no matter what your gender orientation is does not matter to God. The only prerequisites are these two commandments. Moreover, those who condemn homosexuals disobey the second commandment.
- Remember that God is love. If you love your fellow man or woman, then it is certainly given by God, not the devil, mainly because God is love. He didn’t give you this characteristic as a hurdle but because it as one of your distinguishing marks in the multitude of His creations.
- Expose yourself to the different arguments against homosexuality. Many fundamentalists know how to argue their point out, mainly through harsh rhetoric. Debunk them using the Bible itself. With this, you will never be haunted by the deep-seated guilt they impose on you.
- Do not argue with them if possible. Many who claim themselves as Christians were socialized in a patriarchal society, and it is absolutely hard to induce in them a paradigm change through a simple debate. Make them realize their own wrongs not by exchanging points with them, but simply through simple defense of your belief. No matter how many words you throw at them, they cannot be simply swayed. Let God do His plan.
Never be discouraged to fight for your right to a belief. Always remember that God would someday rectify these wrongs in the society.