The Internet has opened up some new avenues of learning this Holy book. Most have tutoring so that you can interact with a person because understanding the meaning of the text is essential to successfully learning how the Qur'an enables you to interact with God.
Why is it important for everyone to know and understand the Holy Qur'an?
The faithful believe that this book contains God's message of guidance for not just Muslims, but all the people of the world. More people have read the Qur'an than any other book. This is God revealed to the prophet Muhammad.
The faithful believe that success in the present world and the hereafter is dependant upon faithfully following the Qur'an. Therefore we must learn it and understand it.
To begin with, to understand and learn the Qur'an most effectively it should be learned in Arabic. That is not just my opinion but the opinion of many teachers of the Qur'an. There are 78 to 80,000 words in the text, so it would seem daunting for those not familiar with Arabic. I am told that about 100 specific words make up almost 40,000 of the total words. So when you master these you will understand half of every page already. There are additionally 2,000 different words in the Qur'an.
If you decided you could learn ten new words daily, in 7 month's you could understand the Qur'an. There are many translations of the Qur'an available to help learn it. There is also software available online that can greatly facilitate learning.
The following are ideas for enhancing your study and understanding of the Qur'an:
- Don't just read it. Open your heart and mind to it. Learn to live it.
- Remember you are not just reading a book you are interacting with God.
- If you are just beginning to read the Qur'an begins with just five minutes a day.
- As you become open to its words you will find yourself reading for longer and longer periods of time.
- Don't just read the Qur'an. Take the time to understand what you have read.
- If you have a good translation read the same passages in the translation that you read in the Arabic. This will help in understanding what you have read.
- The Qur'an is God interacting with you. He is talking to you. Learning means also listening.
- There are also many good CD's of the Qur'an. It is essential in learning to read the Qur'an to listen to the language of it as well. This aids in learning correct pronunciation
This is really how we learned our own native languages so it will make it easier to learn the language of the Qur'an and to understand the meaning of this holy book.