When you seek to buy shuttles for use in badminton, there are a few important things to consider. While most recreational users need only concern themselves with the cost of the shuttles that they are going to hit around the backyard, more serious players will need to consider the weight and type of shuttlecock they acquire when they buy shuttles. Here's how to get the best gear for your needs.
- Consider your style of play and surroundings when you go out to buy shuttles. Do you prefer to play fast or slow? At what altitude do you live? When you buy shuttles, these features affect your style of play.
- Players who live at high altitudes need to buy shuttles with lower speed because the air is thinner at higher altitudes. Thus, users in the USA should buy shuttles of mid-speeds and people at sea level should buy shuttles of the highest speeds.
- The next thing to consider is the heat and humidity of your play area before you buy shuttles. If your playing area is cold and moist, you should buy shuttles with a higher speed to compensate for the higher air density. Conversely, players who play in warm, dry areas should buy shuttles with a lower speed.
- Consider your budget. Should you buy shuttles made of feather and wood or nylon and plastic? If you want to experience tournament style play, you should buy shuttles made with feathers. However, when you buy shuttles made with feathers, you will pay on average about twice what you would pay for a plastic nylon shuttlecock. On the other hand, when you buy shuttles made with feathers, you usually have an increase in durability that plastic nylon shuttles cannot match.
- Finally, it is time to finish up your research and buy shuttles. There are a number of resources online that offer you the chance to buy shuttles and other badminton equipment. Of special note is Badminton Alley, which provides a grading on each of their offerings, thus allowing users the chance to objectively review their choices before making their purchase. Another option when buying shuttles is to go to your local sporting goods store. However, many of the employees will have little knowledge regarding badminton, leaving you to fend for yourself when you buy shuttles.
No matter your player level, it is important to buy shuttles that fit you and your playing level. When you buy shuttles, you buy a gateway into a fantastic sport that will provide hours of enjoyment.