If you are training to join a basketball team, you may want to build your own basketball court so that you can practice right at home. You can put the basketball court in your driveway or your backyard. By doing this, you can practice shooting hoops anytime of the day, and you won’t have to worry about sharing the court with someone. You can build your own basketball court with just a few materials.
Here are the steps on how to build your own basketball court:
- Materials. You will need chalk, spray paint, tape measure and a basketball hoop. You can search for and purchase a basketball hoop and basketball from your local sporting goods store. Get one that you can just screw on and not the one where you have to secure it with cement. Also, you might want to get an adjustable hoop.
- Area preparation. Determine if the area where you can put your basketball court can accommodate a full basketball court or a half basketball court. Most garages and backyards can only accommodate a small half basketball court. The measure for the half court is 40 feet by 40 feet, and the measure for the full court is 40 feet by 80 feet.
- Install hoop. The first thing you have to do is to install the basketball hoop. Make sure that you install it in an area where there are no fragile items, such as glass windows and doors. You can adjust the height of the hoop according to what you like. You can make it higher so that you can practice your shooting skills.
- Court lines. The next thing you have to do is to spray the court lines. Measure a distance of 15 feet from the board of the hoop. Mark that line. This will be your free throw line. For the three-point line, you will have to measure about 30 to 32 feet from the board of the basketball hoop. These are the dimensions that you will need for your half court.
- Painting the lines. When you have measured all the lines that you need for the court using the chalk, you can paint over it. Make sure that your lines are straight. Use masking tape so that the lines will be the same thickness all over. Make the line at least an inch thick. The best color of spray paint to use for your court is white so that it will be obvious.
These are the steps on how to build your own basketball court in your garage or backyard. By doing this, you will be able to practice shooting hoops, and you can also play against your friends or family. As you get better at shooting hoops, you might want to adjust the hoop to a higher position so that you can practice and get even better at the sport. It will also help if you read about basketball. One of the websites you can visit to get tips on the sport is basketball.lifetips.com.