Anyone will tell you that the best camping season would have to be spring or summer, when the sun is out longer, the weather is fine and you can enjoy the outdoors better. But this doesn't mean that you cannot do this for the colder season, when the outdoors are quite chilly. There are still ways to enjoy a little Autumn camping with your friends. You just have to make some adjustments and changes to what you're used to doing.
- For the success of an Autumn camping adventure, the key is in making preparations. Come up with a list of things you will need for this camping. Among other needs like food, water and first aid kit, you will also need a good tent that can withstand a harsher cold weather. You will also need some blankets, a sleeping bag, coats and stuff for the campfire. You may even have to buy an evening mist and some insect repellants. Go over the list carefully and make sure to double-check this. Buy the stuff cheaper by first checking thrift shops or second hand shops online like Craigslist or Ebay. Cross off the item once you have already prepared or bought it.
- If this is your first time going camping in the Autumn, it may not be a good idea to go far. Head to a local camping area first. This is actually for your safety and convenience. If you do not have the necessary experience in camping during the cold weather, you will not be able to enjoy this. And then if you cannot enjoy the adventure, you can at least easily pack up and go home and try again the next time.
- Make sure you find a decent area for setting up camp. Avoid the windy sites. Also avoid sites where there's a possibility tree branches may fall. There isn't an ideal spot, though, but you have to at least find one that can best keep your adventure going well.
- You may need to put waterproof covers on your tent and sleeping bag. Called ground pads, these are available at sporting goods stores. The ground pads will help keep you warm and comfortable even when it looks like rain outside camp. Similarly, do put an extra liner for your sleeping bag to add more warmth. You can probably also look into a mummy bag. Some people find it uncomfortable but it may be just right for you.
- Wear your best clothes for this type of weather condition. Dressing in layers is advisable. Wear a lot of wool when you are camping in the Autumn. Also, have the necessary gears to protect you from the wind, chill and the rain, such as a scarf, a hat, ear mufflers, gloves, socks and boots.
- Set up the campfire at night. This is, of course, the essence of going camping. The campfire is where you can cook your food or sit around together keeping yourselves warm and sharing your stories. Make sure you've packed enough water and hot cocoa to last through the nights of your camping, as this would be the perfect time to enjoy it.