Baseball is a sport that is played with a baseball bat and a ball. The baseball bat is typically made out of metal but it can also be made with wood. It is used to hit the ball thrown by another player, the pitcher.
Purchasing a baseball bat from the sports store can be expensive. If you want to practice your baseball skills in your own backyard, what you can do is make your own wooden baseball bat. You will only need a few materials. You may need a few carpentry skills in order to make this bat, but following these instructions is not that hard.
Here are the steps on how you can make your own wooden baseball bat:
- Gather materials you need. Gather all the materials you need for the project. For this you will need a block of wood (white ash, maple, hickory or bamboo), standard saw, circular saw, lathe, sandpaper, ruler and woodworking tools. The most ideal wood to use is white ash as it is strong, yet light.
- Determine size of bat. If you want to make a wooden baseball bat that has the standard measurements of baseball bats used in games, you must create one that has a maximum of 2 and ¾ inches in diameter (thickest part of the bat) and the length should not exceed 42 inches in length. However, if you are going to use the bat that you are going to make for practicing or for decorative purposes, you can choose your own size.
- Cut the wood to size. You will need the circular saw to cut the block of wood that you have to your desired size. After cutting the wood, use the lathe to start shaping the wood like a bat. Remember to wear safety glasses and hand gloves for protection when the lathe starts spinning the chunk of wood. When you have almost achieved the shape of the bat, you can now use a chisel to have more control on the wood that you want removed from the bat.
- Shape the handle. After you already have your bat, the next step is to shape the handle. Use the ruler to measure 1 and ½ inches from the top of the bat. This will be your handle. Slowly shave off wood to form the handle. You should shave off wood in a curved motion to come up with the handle of the bat.
- Finish the bat. When you are already happy with the shape of your bat, you can already smooth out the bat by using the sandpaper. After this, you can varnish the bat to give it a shiny surface. If you do not want the bat to be shiny, you can leave it as is.
These are the steps on how you can make your own wooden bat. Before you purchase wood for the bat, you can research on the different types that can be used and choose the wood that will be the best suited for your use of the baseball bat.