Boxing is a great fitness regime for both men and women. It boosts your speed and stamina while building your upper and lower body strength. Since you can’t have a boxing ring in your home, the next best thing is get a speed bag.
You can easily mount a speed bag to your wall. A swivel board holds the bag so it can move freely while you pummel it with punches. When you buy a speed bag, it comes with the things you will need to mount it to your wall. Additional tools and materials you need to have on hand are:
- Hammer and nails
- 4 to 6 pieces of wood (1 x 4)
- Tape measure
- Screw driver and screws
- Wall anchors
Below are instructions on how to mount a speed bag on a wall frame before mounting it to the actual wall.
- Identify the location for the speed bag. The speed bag should be attached to a wall that can take the constant stress coming from the bag while it moves. Never mount a speed bag on divider walls. These will not stand up to the stresses of the speed bag. Opt for a wall that has studs (wood braces running vertically from ceiling to floor). Make sure to choose a location away from human traffic.
- Purchase a speed bag. There are many different brands of speed bags. Most come with wall mounts and platforms. Before heading out to your local sporting goods store or purchasing one over the web, read the online user reviews of the different speed bag brands in the market. This way your choice can be guided by the experience of other boxing enthusiasts. Once you have your speed bag, check to make sure that all the parts necessary for mounting the speed bag are accounted for including the instruction sheet.
- Find the studs of the wall. Identify the location of the studs where you can mount the speed bag.
- Make the frame. The frame is a square grid made of wood that will be mounted on the wall to protect the wall and ensure that your speed bag is sturdy. The size of the frame will depend on the distance between two studs. Attach the required number of wood pieces side by side to cover the distance between two studs. These pieces of wood should be parallel to the studs. Next, attach one piece of wood perpendicularly to the top and one to the bottom of the frame to serve as runners.
- Mount the speed bag on the frame. Using the mounting parts that came with your speed bag, attached the speed bag to the frame you made. Follow the directions found in the box. Make sure to center the speed bag to the frame.
- Mount the frame with the speed bag to the wall. If you made your frame correctly, the sides of the frame should lie exactly on the two studs. If the studs are 3 feet apart, the mount grid should be 3 feet by 3 feet in order that the sides can be screwed into the studs. Use wall anchors, screws and washers to mount the frame with the bag to the wall studs.
As an avid boxer, you can still practice part of your boxing regime at home by installing a speed bag. A speed bag is not difficult to mount. Just follow the instructions that came with the bag. Make sure to select a good location with a sturdy wall and space to move.