The right emergency weather radio equipment can be the most important investment a camper can make. It is important to track the weather during hikes because as a camper, you should always be prepared. If this is your first time to buy an emergency weather radio, it can be quite confusing. There are a lot of things to consider. However, with a little research and a few quick tips, you can find the best emergency weather radio you can buy.
Here are a few simple tips on how to select an emergency weather radio for camping:
- Make sure that you choose an emergency weather radio that's National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration approved. Although it can be a little pricier, you can be sure that you can receive important updates about the weather. You can also be notified of any emergencies and warnings. Also, NOAA-approved radios usually have two functions. You can listen to the radio. You might also want to consider buying an emergency weather radio with a built in VHF television.
- Ditch rechargeable and battery operated emergency weather radios. They are not an efficient source of energy. Instead, opt for solar powered or mechanical radios. You usually have to crank those types of radios to give it some energy. This way, you don't run out of batteries in the middle of an emergency. This is more eco-friendly, and can save you money on batteries and electricity. Remember, you need to be informed constantly about the weather during the hike.
- Choose a durable weather radio. While on a camping trip, you're going to be exposed to a lot of dirt, mud or water. You don't want your emergency weather radio to stop working in the middle of an important announcement. Choose waterproof, shockproof and dustproof radios for maximum durability. Also, look at the external casing of the radio. Do not buy plastic radios - they can easily break.
- Pick a radio that is handy. You don't want to haul around an extra ten pounds of weight on a camping trip. Keep your emergency weather radio small and pocket-sized. This way you can carry it around with you without hassle. Look for special features such as LED flashlights and chargers built into the radio. These can be extremely handy, not only while camping, but for every day use.
- Shop around. It would be best to look at many stores before buying a radio. This way, you can compare prices and get the best deal. Make sure to take both the price and the features into consideration. Buying a cheap radio that easily breaks could prove to be much pricier. Invest in a high quality emergency radio.
An emergency weather radio may save your life during a camping trip. Although there are many options, you can choose the best kind to suit your needs. Try these tips to select an emergency weather radio for your camping trip.