So you're planning a trip abroad, but do you have your passport ready to go? If not, you will find that the process of applying for one is actually not so difficult. See below to find out the necessary requirements for a passport application, as well as where to find answers to everything passport related.
- Passport Requirements: All of the necessary requirements for a new passport can be found on the US Department of State's website. In short, you must provide the following upon application:
- The passport application, Form DS-11. You can download and print the form online or pick up a paper copy at your nearest Passport Acceptance Facility (most US Postal Offices, government courts, and some libraries) or Passport Agency.
- Proof of US Citizenship
- Proof of identity
- Two 2x2 passport sized photos
- Pay the required application fee, typically $97 if over the age of 16.
- Applying in person: If you are applying for a passport for the first time, it is required that you apply in person. You can find the closest Passport Acceptance Agency online.
- More Information: For more information on the passport application process, you can call the National Passport Information Center, at 1-877-4USA-PPT (1-877-487-2778). Visit their website for more information on call center hours and TDD/TTY numbers.
The US Department of State's website has a wealth of information on applying for and renewing passports, including all applications available for download and has a helpful list of FAQ's.