If you are in the process of planning a trip abroad, it's important to check your passport to see if it is expiring soon or already expired. If this is the case, you will need to renew your passport. The steps on how to do so are detailed below.
Renewing your passport by mail.
You may renew your passport by mail if the following is true:
- Your most recent passport is not damaged
- Your most recent passport is less than 15 years old
- You were at least 16 years old when the passport was issued
- You still have the same name as in your most recent passport
- Download the Application for Passport by Mail: There are two options for downloading and printing Form DS-82, the application for passport by mail (passport renewal). You can fill out the application online, then print it out to mail. The online application is found here. You may also print a blank application and fill out the answers using a black ink pen or typewriter. The blank application is found here.
Adobe Acrobat Reader is necessary for downloading both versions of the form. If you don't have Adobe Acrobat Reader on your computer, you may download a current version by clicking here.
- Print the Application for Passport by Mail: There are several guidelines for printing Form DS-82, as outlined by the US Department of State. Click here to read the guidelines.
- Fill out the Application for Passport by Mail: When filling out Form DS-82, the renewal application, you must provide the following information:
- Your full name
- Date of birth
- Social security number
- Mailing and home addresses
- Telephone number
- Current passport information
- Travel plans
- Emergency contact information
- Mail the Application for Passport Renewal: You must include the following when mailing your application:
Renewing your passport in person.
If your most recent passport is damaged, is older than 15 years, or you were under the age of 16 when your current passport was issued, you will not be able to renew your passport using Form DS-82. You must fill out an application for a new passport using Form DS-11.
Renewing your passport while aboard.
If you are outside of the United States and need to renew your passport, you will have to do so at your nearest US Embassy or Consulate. For a list of websites, addresses, and phone numbers of these, click here.