Frequent travelers live in and out of suitcases that in time are left battered and shabby-looking. Weary travelers may look rumpled and bleary eyed, but worn-out luggage is really catastrophically unacceptable simply because that’s where all the valuable stuff is! If you leave it that way it can get crushed en route and leave you with a big mess come claiming time.
Your luggage doesn’t have to be a luxe brand like an LV or a Gucci to stand the test of time. You just have to choose wisely to get the most mileage and value for your buck.
Here are some useful tips to buy the perfect luggage:
- Do not buy a set of luggage based on your lifestyle or standard of living. Choose to be practical and look for a set that’s sturdy, thick on the outside, soft on the inside, and has the maximum number of compartments to accommodate your clothes, shoes, and toiletries.
- A combination lock is a great idea but so is a small-sized padlock with a number combination and a universal metal clip that is compatible with the ones used by airport security. This kind of clip unlocks when a detector is used upon check-in/inspection of your luggage. You can simply lock this in place afterward. Thus, you avoid any hassle or hold-ups when you have to undergo security check-ups.
- In the same breath, try to avoid getting a combination lock built into the luggage that will make it complicated for you and airport security. You’ll only be causing delay. Think protection and privacy, sure, but if you get a luggage that will bar even you from gaining access, it’s just downright ridiculous.
- The luggage set should be versatile for use on vacations, business trips, and conferences. In short, it should be ideal for business and pleasure.
- A great set of luggage should be made of outstanding material: fabric, zipper, locks, lining, and all that.
- If you’re the kind of traveler who abhors checking your luggage into a plane’s baggage area, then go for a carry-on all the while making sure that this meets the standard size requirement allowed by the airline for stashing overhead your seat. Currently, it’s at 24 X 14 X 9-inch so take note of this before you head out to buy your luggage.
- Carrying your luggage is cumbersome so choose something that has rollers under it.
- Pick an all-weather luggage set. As mentioned, you want something that goes with you all-year round whatever the season.
- Finally, here’s a rundown of the top 10 best luggage brands according to connect.ipass.com
- Eagle Creek
- Costco Kirkland
- Victorinox - Yes, makers of Swiss Army Knives, too!
- Briggs and Riley
When in doubt still, watch George Clooney’s movie “Up in the Air” and go for the type of luggage he lugs around while downsizing people all over America. If you can’t get George, at least you’ll get the luggage that he uses in the movie.