Thanks to Charles Darwin, Galapagos Islands is now one of the most favorite travel destinations of natural historians. Why shouldn’t it be? The archipelago has various bird species, marine iguanas, penguins, sea lions, and giant tortoises. But even if you are not so interested in these animals, traveling to Galapagos Islands is still a great choice. The only problem is that traveling there is a bit expensive, mainly because of the many boat rides. Expect to spend at least $150 every day to enjoy your travel. Good thing, you can still stretch your budget by finding cheap hotels in Galapagos Islands.
Room rates of hotels in Galapagos Islands range from $25 to $500. If you’re on the budget, you can definitely find rooms within your range with the tips below:
- Stay in island hotels if you’ll be seeing the wildlife. Hotels in Puerto Baquerizo Moreno, Puerto Villamil, and Puerto Ayora are cheaper and not-so-in-demand compared to those in Florena, Santa Cruz, San Cristobal, and Isabela. But staying in hotels in the town would mean daily boat rides to other Galapagos Islands, especially if you want to see the wildlife. Staying in hotels in Florena and other islands would save you more on daily boat rides.
- Reserve hotel accommodation a few months before your travel. Do this especially if you want to stay near the beach. Hotels along the shore are usually full especially on peak season. Rooms are commonly sold out months before. Advanced reservation is usually cheaper than getting rooms on the spot.
- Travel on off-peak season. The peak seasons of traveling to Galapagos Islands include the Christmas and Easter weeks. Even if you reserve well in advance, the rate might still be more expensive than having your travel during the off-peak season.
- Reserve in San Cristobal or Santa Cruz. These two islands offer more hotels than Florena and Isabela. That means more competing hotels and better hotel rates for travelers. Reserving rooms in Florena and Isabela is only ideal for a multi-day tour.
- Consider booking rooms in Puerto Ayora. There are more hotel options in Puerto Ayora and other towns compared to the islands. Hotels there are less expensive also especially those farther from the water.
- Travel with a group of travelers. You’ll not only save on hotel accommodation but save on your entire travel expenses. Ask friends, family, or professional colleagues to join you. You all can save if you are in a group travel.
- Stay in a common room. If you will be traveling with a group, consider getting only one room for all of you. Family-size rooms will be cheaper if you will share the payment. The only catch is, you have to sacrifice your privacy.
- Compare hotel rates before booking. You might be surprised how much you can save by just comparing rates. Besides comparing rates, compare the hotel amenities also. Hotels with fewer amenities are usually cheaper.
- Ask for a better rate. Hotel front desk personnel can give you suggestions on how you can save on your accommodation. Just ask because they won’t usually tell you how to save money without you asking unless they have a promo.
Finding cheap hotels is not the only way to save on your Galapagos
Islands travel. Stretch your budget more by saving on your island
activities and transportation. You don’t have to spend a fortune to
enjoy the islands. You only need to spend your money wisely.