A birth certificate is an official record of your birth. Many institutions such as schools, companies and sometimes banks need your birth certificate as part of a set of requirements that you have to pass. A birth certificate validates your place and date of birth. A birth certificate is a very important piece of document. It never runs out of uses.
If you do not have a copy of your birth certificate, follow the steps below to ensure that you get one.
- Find out where you were born. The country or state where you were born keeps all the records of births that occurred within their jurisdiction. Find out where your place of birth is since that is where you can get a copy of your birth certificate. You can find out where you were born by looking at your family genealogy. This can give you clues as to where you were born if none of your family members knows.
- Contact the department of health. Once you find out where you were born, contact the Department of Health in that state or country. The Department of Health of the place where you were born can give you information on requirements that you might have to pass to obtain a birth certificate copy.
- You should also ask the Department of Health in the state or country where you were born if they can mail you the copy or if you need to make a personal appearance in that department. Getting your birth certificate copy mailed is more convenient than having to go to the department.
- Gather your requirements. The Department of Health in the place where you were born might need some valid IDs to make sure that you are the right person getting the birth certificate copy. A Social Security or any valid ID might be required, but bring any other identification just in case. If you can send copies of your identification through mail, get copies of your identification by getting Xerox copies the requirements. Never send the original IDs. They might get lost in the mail.
- Send your requirements. Either travel to the state or country where you need to get your birth certificate copy, or send them through mail. If there are any fees that the Department of Health in your place of birth charges for copies, enclose the amount in the envelope with the requirements. If you have to travel for your birth certificate copy, make sure you have all the necessary requirements and that you have a contact person ready just in case you forgot other requirements or need additional ones. Your contact person should have access to your files and identification, so make sure you can trust this person to get other requirements and send them to wherever you need them sent.
You can successfully get a copy of your birth certificate by following the steps above. Getting a copy of your birth certificate might be a tedious process, but keep in mind that this document is very important and that you might need this for more than one instance. Getting a copy of your birth certificate is worth the time, effort and cost.