Toiletry bags are a must especially when you’re traveling. They’re convenient for storing just about anything from your grooming and make-up essentials to small bottles of perfume, packets of tissue, and even your medicine. Making your own toiletry bag is easy to do.
Just follow these steps:
- Gather your materials. You will need the following: 1/3 yard of inner fabric, 1/3 yard of outer fabric, lightweight fusible web, 12-inch zipper, zipper foot, scissors, measuring tape, 6-10 pieces of straight pins, an iron, a sewing machine. Get fabric in the color, style, design, or pattern that you like. Choose one that has a tight weave and can hold its shape. This will ensure your toiletry bag’s durability.
- Using measurements of 12 inches wide and 14 inches long, measure and cut two pieces each of inner and outer fabric.
- Put the two pieces of outer fabric on top of your ironing surface with the wrong side facing up. Lay a piece of fusible web on top of the outer fabric. Position it well and make sure the glue side is facing down.
- Set the iron to low or minimal heat and iron the paper-backing side of the fusible web. This should make the fusible web adhere to the fabric.
- Peel off the paper-backing from the fusible web. This time, lay the inner fabric on top of the fusible web with its right side facing up. Position it well. Iron the top of the inner fabric so it would adhere to the fusible web.
- Lay the ironed pieces of fabric together with their right sides facing each other. Then from the bottom corner of each side (left bottom corner and right bottom corner), measure and cut a 2-inch square.
- Get the zipper foot and attach it to your sewing machine. Place your bag piece (the ironed pieces of fabric) on your work table. The outer fabric should be facing down. Position the zipper and pin it face down on the top edge of the bag piece.
- Start stitching the zipper to the fabric. You should stitch close to the teeth of the zipper. After stitching, iron the zipper face up. Repeat this process with the other side of the bag piece.
- Turn up the sewn zipper face. Stitch the remaining edge of the zipper to the fabric.
- Detach the zipper foot and replace it with your regular sewing foot. Fold together the sewn bag piece with both right sides facing inside. Pin the bottom and sides of the bag piece. Along the edges that you pinned, sew a seam allowance measuring ½ inch. Leave out the two square corners you cut earlier.
- Open one square corner and match the side seam with the bottom seam. Pin them together. Again using a ½ inch seam allowance, stitch across the edges that you pinned. Do the same procedure with the other square corner. This will provide the space for the bottom of your toiletry bag.
- Open the zipper. Turn your toiletry bag inside out. You can now use it and put your stuff in it. Or if you prefer, you can hand wash it first before using.
For someone who can’t leave home without a toiletry bag, you can try your hand at making one. You’ll have much fun picking out the fabric you want to make your toiletry bag look pretty.