People are enticed by the prospect of traveling to exotic locations where they can relax. In fact, a cheap travel vacation is probably the best reward a person can give to himself for a job well done. What holds back most dreamers is that a travel vacation doesn't come without a hefty price. Almost a third of the budget for any type of vacation is consumed by travel costs second only to accommodations.
The most common obstacle for any tourist is how to get cheap air tickets and experience a real bargain travel vacation. The following are guidelines on how to go about looking for that elusive cheap airfare:
- Travel agencies - Most travel agents enjoy wholesale discounts on major airlines, whether domestic or international flights. They may even have lower airfares than the airline companies. They also know the best places for cheap travel by offering travel packages. It's a convenient way of having an itinerary with fewer connections.
- Major airline distributors - Airline companies usually have a local office for airline reservations. When you get to talk to the reservation officer, ask about economical airfares that they accommodate. They might have alternate flights to match your travel funds.
- Online reservations - Search the Internet for online booking agencies. Those cheap air tickets usually have limited seats so grab the opportunity to get one. You need to have a credit card for instant online payments.
So after you've found the cheap airlines to get to your destination, it's time to think about saving money during your vacation.
- Go online - airline or hotel - It is better to place reservations online because talking to an employee will cost the airlines more money. This is the same with hotels. You get to choose the amenities you prefer and by providing details of your credit card, your accommodation is solved. To get to your destination, air travel is the fastest way to go as buses, trains and cars can take up precious vacation time.
- Itineraries count - If you haven't talked to a travel agent about this, make sure you research the tourist spots of that area and what kind of activity you could engage in for a minimal fee or even at no cost. Plot the places farthest from your accommodation first. On your check-out day, that's the best time to explore the nearest sites.
- Limit where you eat - Visit a local grocery store for something that you can easily prepare and eat on the go especially when you have numerous routes to visit. You might also find the local restaurants and street carts cheaper, plus you will get a taste of authentic flavors.
Many people have this illusion that to have a memorable travel vacation, one has to spend a lot of money. When you follow the suggestions for that ideal but discounted travel vacation, you get cheap travel that won't haunt you with regret months later.