The San Diego Zoo, located in San Diego, California, provides wonderful opportunities to observe animals in their natural environment and habitat as well as special activities and events for both adults and children. Many of the exhibits on display can provide learning opportunities as well as family fun.
When a visit to San Diego Zoo takes place one can expect to see a wide variety of exhibits. Many types of animals call this zoo their home. In fact, there are over 4,000 animals that reside here and over 800 species. In addition, this zoo is one of the few in the world that houses the giant panda.
The San Diego Zoo offers several special attractions and activities for children and adults.
- Want to watch a rhinoceros get his back scratched? Then the backstage pass if for you. It is offered as a two-hour experience where you can get up close and personal with the animals of the park. Ages 5 and older are welcome to participate in this activity.
- Another interesting program is the Elephant Odyssey Tour. Participants are taken on a guided tour with a maximum of seven people. This is a journey back in time where individuals are able to get a glimpse of what animals roamed Southern California 12,000 years ago. The tours run daily at 10:00 p.m. and 1:00 p.m. and last two hours.
- Ever dreamed of spending the night under the stars near wild animals? Here is your chance. The zoo offers sleepover programs for ages three and up with an accompanying adult. There are many different sleepover options to choose from such as a Valentine's Day, Mother's/Father's Day, and a family pumpkin party. Reservations are required.
- Kids Free Days come up during the entire month of October. Children between the ages of three to eleven years will receive free admittance during this time.
- The Kids Safari at Balboa Park is offered to children ages three through seven. This includes a ride on the Miniature Railroad.
- In the month of December, get into the Christmas spirit with the Festival Of Lights. A storyteller adds to the entertainment as well as a visit from Santa Claus. Guests of the park can also fly aboard the Balloon Safari that is a tethered helium balloon rising 400 feet above the zoo.
No matter what type of animal or activity a person enjoys, there are a variety of different of exhibits and entertainments at the San Diego Zoo for the whole family.