Homemade gifts are personal and unique. They can also be good for your bank account. Make them when you're broke, or when you just want to expand your creativity. Any time's a good time for gifts.
When visiting friend, it is a delightful thing to bring a treat showing how much you appreciate the invitation. The following recipe makes one frozen lemon poppy seed cookie log, and can be good for all seasons.
- 1 ½ cup all-purpose flour
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 8 tbs or 1 stick butter
- 1 tbs poppy seed
- 1 tbs lemon rind
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 2 egg yolks
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- Place all dry ingredients and butter into a food processor (no other machine works as quickly). Process until well mixed.
- Lightly beat yolks, vanilla, and lemon juice together.
- Slowly add mixture into the food processor.
- Process until dough forms; make sure not to over process.
- Transfer dough to dry surface, and form a cylinder-like log.
- Wrap with waxed paper, and refrigerate until firm (or keep frozen for as long as two weeks).
- Tie with colored strings, and attach gift card with the following instructions: "Preheat oven to 350 F Degrees. Slice log into ¼" thins, and bake for around 10 to 15 minutes. Enjoy!"