- 1 (16 oz) packaged phyllo dough
- 1 lb chopped walnuts
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 cup butter (softened)
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup water
- ½ cup honey
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp lemon zest
Preheat oven to 350 F degrees
- Butter a 9x13 baking dish.
- Mix cinnamon and walnuts in a bowl.
- Unroll phyllo dough and cut with scissors to fit dish.
- Place two sheets of phyllo on the bottom of the dish and brush with butter.
- Sprinkle 3 tbsp of nut mixture evenly on top.
- Repeat layers until all ingredients are used.
- With a sharp knife, cut baklava into tiny squares while maintaining its shape.
- Bake for about 50 minutes until golden brown.
- In a saucepan melt together sugar and water over medium heat.
- Stir in honey, vanilla extract, and lemon zest.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Once baklava is out of the oven, pour syrup over it.