How To File a Claim with the EEOC

There are some instances when employees feel that they are treated differently because of their religion, race, gender or age. This can emotionally affect someone. In these situations, employees who are treated unfairly can file a complaint with the EEOC (Equal Employment Opportunity Commission). The EEOC is the one responsible for the investigation of such cases. It is quite easy to file a claim with the EEOC. Just follow the simple steps provided below.

Here are the steps that you have to follow when you want to file a claim with the EEOC:

  • Find out state laws. There are different laws for different states. Go to your state’s website or contact the local government office to know the laws of discrimination in your state. Some states have a specific agency that deals with these types of cases. You can read on the guidelines and laws on their website.
  • File your claim. It is important to file your claim as soon as possible as there are time limitations. Usually, the limit is six months from the event but time frame can vary from state to state. Write your formal complaint to the EEOC. On the complaint, write down specifics such as the nature of the discrimination, the company or individual who has done you wrong and the date when it happened. It will also be helpful if you have emails or other documents that you can use as proof of the incident. If there are witnesses to the event, mention their names, too. You can send your formal claim through email.
  • Wait for investigation. Upon receiving your claim, the EEOC will contact the parties involved and carry out a thorough investigation. They will do their best in order to give you justice in your situation. It cases like these, it is better to have a witness the will back you up with your complaint.
  • Results. After the investigation, the EEOC will take the necessary steps towards the company or the individual. They may ask the company to rehire you, give you compensation for the trouble, and promote you or any other step that will give you the justice that you deserve.
  • Go to court. In some cases, when the problem is not resolved within a given time or the company refuses to act on your claim (usually within 6 months), you will be given the right to sue. You will need to hire a lawyer and work with him to build your case.

These are the steps that you have to follow if you want to file a claim with the EEOC. There are some things to remember while an investigation is ongoing. If you are dismissed or treated differently due to your complaint, you should immediately contact a lawyer for the unjust treatment. When you experience something like this or if you are a witness to discrimination, it is best to alert the right authorities as soon as possible to prevent it from happening again to other employees.


Share this article!

Follow us!

Find more helpful articles: