How To Get Jobs in Roadside Assistance

Vintage looking truck

Roadside assistance service is something that not a lot of people really think about seriously--until the minute their car conks out on them in the middle of nowhere or in the middle of a busy highway and they have no way to get things back up and running. And in the middle of this emergency, these people usually tend to panic or get angry at the inconvenience that is keeping them from any important meetings or appointments that they need to reach. It takes a different kind of person to be able to do the job that needs to be done even in the presence of such stressed people. If you have a skill with cars and engines, and if you can keep a cool head during emergencies, perhaps you might have the aptitude to work with a roadside assistance service provider or a motor club offering such services.  

There are numerous positions available in such companies, and you can get more idea about these positions and the requirements by looking at job listings online. Simply typing the keywords "jobs in roadside assistance service" in a search engine will yield instant results, but you can also check job search websites like You will typically find positions such as a tire or maintenance technician, which mainly entails removal and replacement of tires, but can also involve jumpstarting a stalled vehicle and unlocking car doors. These jobs not only require extensive training and experience, but you may also need to be certified for these. An ability to operate machinery as well as the ability to lift heavy objects is also important, since you will need to deal with various car parts and equipment. Alternatively, you can also become a tow truck driver or operator; this job mainly requires relevant experience, a valid license, and a clean driving record. 

Roadside mechanics and technicians can also have certain specializations, such as RV technicians who come to the aid of RVs. They typically undergo extensive training and need to obtain their credentials from the National RV Dealers Association (RVDA) and the Recreation Vehicle Industry Association (RVIA). Such groups put a premium on RV technician certification as a way to reassure clients who have made a significant investment in their RVs. 

Of course, if you don't have any mechanical skill with vehicles, you can still be a part of roadside assistance services and motor clubs. Other people with different backgrounds are needed in various aspects of the enterprise. You can work as a claims representative, a job that will entail investigating and evaluating any claims made by clients. You can also become a dispatcher, which entails fielding phone calls and directing roadside service providers and service fleets to the location of the emergency. What this job requires most of all is an attention to detail, allowing the company to provide prompt service to the stricken vehicle.  

Apart from finding these jobs online, you can also trawl through your local classified ads, or you may also enquire at motor clubs and roadside services regarding any openings. Don't forget to find out what qualifications they seek as well.


Share this article!

Follow us!

Find more helpful articles: