How To Decide Between a Dermatologist and an Aesthetician

There are many types of skin issues. They can be too minor that some people would only belittle them, or they can be considered to be life threatening. These skin care issues are consulted by different types of professionals; however, you have to consider the field of specialization of the doctor that you seek help from.

Here are some ways that will help you determine which specialist you would need to consult – a dermatologist, or an aesthetician depending on the kind of issue you are having.

When to consult a dermatologist:

The specialization of a dermatologist focuses more on issues related to the skin. It is important that you know the line of specialization of a certain dermatologist such as the following:

  • Cosmetic dermatologist—his job is to perform cosmetic procedures such as liposuction, blepharoplasty, and face lifts.
  • Dermatopathologist—his job is focused on the pathology of the skin.
  • Immunodermatologist—he specializes in the treatment of some skin diseases such as lupus and pemphigus vulgaris.
  • Mohs surgeon—he focuses on performing a technique allowing an intraoperative assessment for skin cancers.
  • Teledermatologist—he makes use of telecommunication technologies to see conditions of the skin and to provide and acquire exchange of knowledge or second opinion from other experts.

Examine your skin problem and identify how serious the disease can be before you contact your dermatologist. Determine if your skin care issue has something to do with the following:

  • Too many pimples/acne that have been bleeding, painful, or even persistent
  • Change in color, shape, or size of freckles or moles
  • Bleeding rashes
  • Skin problems that do not respond to medicines sold over-the-counter
  • Lumps under the skin (these need to be checked immediately to determine if they are benign or malignant)
  • Sores that are open and not responding to over-the-counter medicines properly applied

If your skin problem falls on any of the categories, consult a dermatologist.

When to consult an aesthetician:

Now that you know the area of specialization of a dermatologist, it is important that you also know how an aesthetician can help you with your skin related concern. An aesthetician’s job focuses mainly on enhancing or maintaining a person’s beauty. The field of specialization is focused on issues that are superficial including the causes.

It is important that you understand what services are rendered by an aesthetician before you schedule your consultation. There are some aestheticians that work in spas and there are some that are connected to some dermatology or skin care clinics.

Determine if your skin related problem falls in any of the following categories:

  • Minor to moderate acne
  • Pores that are clogged
  • Fine or medium lines on the face
  • Unusual color of pigmentation on the skin
  • Too rosy cheeks
  • Skin that is either rough or dry
  • Early stage of wrinkles

Knowing who to go to for issues that are related to the skin can help you save some money, time, and energy as well as getting your skin-related problems treated properly.


Share this article!

Follow us!

Find more helpful articles: